Anybody know of a good source for replacement headrests?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MN_Burbon, Jun 15, 2005.

1. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

I am installing some lcd panels and would prefer to do it on a "spare" set of headrests. I checked Ebay and haven't really found anything. Looking for the gray leather ones from '95 or so.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wrecking yard maybe? I'm not aware where you can buy just the headrest.

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'd have to agree. I don't think you'll find many headrests for sale, besides in the boneyard.

4. ChevyFan

There isn't a whole lot to a head-rest. A combination of a machine shop and a fabic shop could make one for you custom if you wanted. :) might be some expensive headrests though. :)

5. MN_Burbon

I found a pair this afternoon at the local boneyard ($35 and my choice of colors) :D

6. TrailLeadr

Not bad! $35 for the pair?
    Up here they think they're sitting on a goldmine, and price their used junked car parts about 10%-30% less than the dealer prices.

I went looking for a steering gear for my 'burban, and new I could buy it for $185, the junk man wanted $165, or $145 with me pulling it!
    That's a racket! "Sure I'll pay you $50.00 to remove your delopitated junk heap from your yard, and piece out every part as though it was 'gently' used from the dealer"

Sorry, that just really irks me, since I remember when you could get very reasonable prices from the boneyard.... :?

7. MN_Burbon

Yes its a 50/50 shot most of the time, I have a bit of a history with this guy so I would guess I get a better chance than most that go out there. Its all who you golf with ;-)

8. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

Junkyard parts

Well, it's the law of supply and demand. Junkyards are like anything else, if they think they can charge for it, they will. For me, getting something from a boneyard should be like 30-50% of the price of something as new. Not a dime more. After that point, you're mathematically better off going new with a warranty.

9. TrailLeadr

I agree completely. Don't get me wrong, I don't want something for nothing (well.... that would be nice). But I remember a time, when I stopped at the boneyard for a steering wheel, and he only charged $20.00, but something tells me now, he'd charge me upwards of $50+. This is the same guy I always went to, whenever I needed a part.

I attribute it to the typical New England attitude, although I'm sure it's the same everywhere. People up here buy a new car, drive it into the ground, 12 yrs later they want to sell it for about $4000.00 less than original sticker price. (yeah, that's a slight exageration, but you get the idea)

10. ChevyFan

yeah, cars are depreciating assets, that's for sure. But some people are so proud of them it's like the fact that they drove it makes it a collectors item.