1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anybody make there own headlight mod kit?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Z-burb, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Z-burb

Z-burb New Member

I am wondering if anybody has made there own headlight mod kit yet? The mod where both lights are one when the high beams are turned on. If it was warmer I would figure it out but being in the 20s during the days lately it is a little chilly. And no garage to work in.
    May be I'll do a write up on it.

Tim
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There are several ways to do it. I have read this on another forum that I belong to. I forget what year your Burb is though so it might be different.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  3. JayMack75

JayMack75 Former Member

1 person likes this.
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've been thinking about hand-building this mod. It doesn't look to be too difficult, and the parts list shouldn't be astronomical, I just haven't gotten around to building the circuit and testing. If/when I get around to it, I'll post the write-up. Britebox is another brand of box that'll do the job.
  6. JayMack75

JayMack75 Former Member

Yep! I got one for my burban and I love it. I got HIDs and now I don't need it. :lol:
  7. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

It's easy -- go for it

I'm a newbie here, and this is my first post here, so please be gentile...

I'm a grandfather and don't see as well at night as I used to. So, when I upgraded to brighter (but legal) bulbs on the old 'Burb, I converted to "quad-high" as well. Late at night, on a deserted highway, it makes a quantum difference.

What I did:
    With the new bulbs it seemed prudent to provide additional power for the quad set-up. Selecting the appropriate Bosch-type relay will provide everything you need to accomplish the desired switching. There are kits available, but they might not be exactly what you want. Add a wire, a fuse, and some connectors and you have all that's necessary.

1. Determine a good position for your relay -- closer to the headlights than the firewall and along the existing harness.

2. Select a power source and run a new, fused, wire to the relay area. Fish the headlight wires from the OEM convoluted cover.

Note: You have two mounting options with a Bosch relay: you can get a socket with pigtails, and plug the relay into the socket. Or, just get some female spade lugs, crimp and go. The socket also provides a mechanical anchor for the relay. The second method saves you from having to splice the socket's pig tails, but you'll have to anchor the relay directly (it has a screw hole). But, make sure there is enough slack in the existing wires if you're going with the pig-tailless method.

3. Connect to the relay as shown in the diagram. As you can see, this is a simple application of a SPDT relay. Here's what's happening: At low beam, the power passes thru the relay at it's "rest" position. When you switch to high beam, the high beam power is OEM except it's tapped to activate the relay. This provides the alternate power for the low beams without a cross-connection = quad light. With this set up, even if the relay fails or is removed, you'll still have light. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016: That post was great. We're not really the newbie bashing type around here. What bulbs did you upgrade to?
  9. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

GP Thunder, Super-White 9006 55W & 9005 65W by Global Premier. They claim to be 7500K w/ quartz glass. The OEM's were 51W and 60W Sylvanias. I've run the new quads for several hours, and the lamp lenses don't get overly warm. :)
    I just checked eBay, and they are now available for about half what I paid. :grrrrrr:
  10. Z-burb

Z-burb New Member

Zippy, don't you have the 87 and 87a reversed. Isn't the 87 always on and the 87a when the coil is energized? Great write up anyways, that is exactly the way I was thinking of doing it.

Tim