Anybody with a Volant Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mjalstad, Jan 26, 2009.

1. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

So I got a Volant CAI for my 99 Silverado 1500 4.8 and everything went well except for where the intake tube connects to the throttle body. The kit uses the stock hose clamp and it will not tighten down far enough to create a tight seal since it has to actually compress the plastic of the intake tube. Once I get to a certain point, the screw just goes "click" and skips back a notch. I tried everything I could to try to get it tighter but I can still simply pull the intake tube off of the Throttle body without trying too hard. Has anybody else had this problem or found a good solution to it?

2. gocubs68

gocubs68 Member

Just installed a Volant CAI on my truck 2 weeks ago. I had no problems with the factory clamp onto the T.B. What I did was position the clamp and rubber piece onto the tube 1st then onto the T.B. I remember trying to leave the clamp on the T.B. then try to get the tube inserted onto the T.B. and it wasn't happening. You might try this.

3. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

I did that. The intake tube is on the throttle body just fine. The problem is that the clamp isn't clamping down tight enough. I shouldn't be able to wiggle the tube around on the throttle body, it should be an air tight fit.

4. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you should have a short piece of rubber (rubber coupling) that goes over the intake tube and the end of the TB. with that piece,you should have 2 clamps, one for the TB and one for the intake tube. you may be missing a part to the assembly.

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

go to a hardware store in the plumbing section and get a bigger and wider clamp for a little better footprint and more area to clamp on, you may even find a better coupler that is a little more plyable