1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Anyone considering the Mobile 1 0w-30

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Pikey, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I just read an ad for the new mobile one advanced fuel economy 0w-30. They say that it meets or exceeds all requirements of 5w-30. What do you guys think about it?

2. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I highly doubt that it meats of excedes the requirements of 5w-30

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

4. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

you mean this.........
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: bodyText"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: bodyText ContentAreaPadding"]If your car manufacturer recommends a SAE 5W-20 ILSAC oil (starburst), we recommend either Mobil 1 5W-20 or Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy will not void new-car warranties where an SAE 5W-20 oil is recommended. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy can provide better fuel economy and better low temperature performance compared to higher viscosity oils.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Well i still wouldnt believe what they say about it unless somebody does use it and likes it. If you dont know wheter to use it i would try it and after one oil change i would see if you like it and if you do use it, if you like it use the oil, if you dont dont use it.

5. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

My truck recommends 5W-30, so that's what it gets. The newer Silverados (2011 and later) recommend that you use dexOS (semi-synthetic or full synthetic) from day one.

6. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone Rockstar 100 Posts

I have been running Mobil 1 0W30 for just over 2years now. I really like it. Honestly, I can't tell the difference but with it getting pretty cold here in the winter it suits me well. And I use a Wix filter. I am a big fan of all Mobil 1 fluids, as I start changing out fluids I plan on switching over to Mobil 1 in everything that it is available for.

7. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

with my high millage tow history... i cant run anything lighter than 20W50 or i loose oil pressure at idle...
    may be a tired old engine but its never given me problems.

8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

My wifes new car will get Mobil 1 0w-20 (but thats what it calls for) when I start doing the changes (get free service for 1st 25k miles). But my other vehicles will still get 5w-30.

9. steved

steved Former Member

Umm, 0w30, 5w30, 10w30...they are all a 30 weight at operating temperatures. I would expect a 0w30 to work in place of a 5w30...

10. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner! This is especially true with synthetics, which Mobil 1 is. The 30 is the weight of the oil... period. The 0w, 5w, 10w is the "winter" flow rating. If you get a synthetic 0w30, 5w30, or 10w30, they will all have the same viscosity, typically ballpark 11. Now it gets a little more complicated with conventional oils, in that they need to pile on viscosity improvers to play the 5w30 game, and they cannot even get into 0w30 territory. Another can of worms and another topic altogether.