1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone else have a fuel pump go before 100k miles?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dbb06, Mar 19, 2012.

1. dbb06

dbb06 Member

I personally have never had a FP go this early.

My wife was heading to work one night last week and she said it just shut down wouldn't restart, thankfully she was able to get off the main road on to a side street and hit the onstar button. They sent a tow truck and took it to the dealer, who called me the next morning and said it was bad fuel pump and gonna cost me $800.
  2. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Seen them go earlier. Why won,t you change it yourself and save . If it is a pickup pull bed back easiest route.
  3. dbb06

dbb06 Member

I would do it myself, but i'm out of work on disability with a hurt back. Trust me I would have already had it done lol.
  4. Gronk

Gronk New Member

Change your fuel filter every 30000, and you will extend the life of the fuel pump.
  5. dbb06

dbb06 Member

My truck doesn't have a fuel filter, 2005 and newer do not have replaceable filters anymore. I believe they put a filter in the sending unit. Thx though.
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Mine went out around the 70k mark. had the dealership replace it under a warranty. the new one went out exactly 1 month later. They fixed it again and doing good so far (knock on wood)
  7. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yeah, mine went out at 71K. Damn thing. But just be careful where you get the new one. I ordered the Napa pump, and it worked, but didn't have the power it should. It was a muli fit that wasn't pushing enough flow. Pressure was fine still. But when accellerating, not enough flow to maintain proper pressure. I got it from an aftermarket AC Delco dealer, and it was fine.
  8. redvett

redvett Member

The return less systems are more reliable than the older return type most last 200000 miles or more. Regardless you need clean fuel and never run tank down to the last gallon, the pump needs gas to lubricate the pump or it will seize up.
  9. dbb06

dbb06 Member

Oh yeah, I always try to refuel around 1/4 tank. Dealer did the repair with oem part, thankfully they only charged me actual labor instead of book rate. Ended up being about $23 cheaper than what they told me. It's running good and hopefully I'll have no more problems. Can't wait until I can start getting the performance mods done to it.