Anyone else having bad brake problems?

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by Realtor1, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Realtor1

Realtor1 New Member

I am on my second brand new Colorado Crew Cab. First one was bought back by GM as a lemon. My new one is having the saem problem. Its now in the shop with 21K miles on it and the back brakes are completely gone. I dont mean wore out, I mean the pad is missing. One of the shoes was not even seated properly in the wheel cylinder. Anyone else having brake problems??
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

I have heard this is a problem for some people, where the front brakes are fine by the rear goes out early. Do they squeel or squeek at all? There is some concern that maybe the parking brake U Bracket being too tight. Doc# 1696186

Do you do a lot of towing or hauling heavy weight in your truck? It's harder to change these brakes than it used to be, I've heard about people messing up their ABS doing it themselves. It's cheaper however.
  3. doug

doug New Member

CHANGED MINE AT 27000 HAD 'BOUT 2/32 LEFT,THAT SPRING IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT
  4. ChevyFan

5. ChevyFan

Did you end up getting your brakes done?
  6. coloradowillie

coloradowillie New Member

I have 62K on my 2004 2wd Colorado ext cab ZQ8.. with original brakes all around... Still working and have some pad left..
  7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member

Is this by chance one of the ones made in or with Mexican parts?
  8. ChevyFan

Check your VIN. :)

I think that 1) brakes are not made the same anymore. 2) People drive the Colorado like a smaller truck and they hit the brakes hard on it, causing them to wear down soon.
  9. cjk84

cjk84 New Member

i have put about a ton of weight in my 04 colorado as a utility vehicle and as a fire respose vehicle original brakes 63000 miles on them starting to get soft but not bad as to the abuse i put it through
    high speed driving and heavy braking
    i live in vt and tend to run 4wd all winter
  10. ChevyFan

Good to hear. I think the number of brakes that are going out are a small percentage. However, I believe there is a TSB regarding the rear brakes being too tight and that they might require adjusting.
  11. doggy717

doggy717 New Member

only after the recall did I have a brake problem, my front brakes were locked up after the dealer installed the new brake switch, got about a half mile down the road, and turned around, when I got out the rotors were cherry red from dragging that short period of time! very dissapointed with the work, and only got new pads, and an inspection and upgrade on warranty for front brakes. 6 years 60,000 from recall work.
  12. ChevyFan

... bumping this old thread ...
  13. Aeolain

Aeolain New Member

Colorado Brake Switch Recall

Hi doggy717,

What happened to your truck is exactly what is happening to mine, although the brakes are not locked up as bad and can still drive reasonably well. The dealer refuses to believe that the recall is the problem.

Do you remember what they did to fix the problem? Should I just replace the switch?

Thanks in advance for your help.