1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

anyone ever charge the AC on an 01 Silverado?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Like a Rock, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Like a Rock

Like a Rock New Member

Had some recent A/C problems, blowing out hot air. Thought it was low on freon but could not locate the low pressure valve to add the freon. Anyone know where it's hiding?

Also found out that freon wasn't my problem though, had a belt to break, hopefully it didn't break because the compressor froze up
  2. Bigg Ron

Bigg Ron Rockstar 100 Posts

The charging valve is most likey on top of the compressor, it will be a snap on coupling not a screw on. hope you dont have compressor failure. You can bypass the low pressure switch, normally mounted on or near the receiver dryer to see if compressor if operating and to get a look at pressures. Add the recommeced amount of refrigerant typically a label on the dryer, or monitor the low pressue gauge and the temp coming out of the receiver drier to the comoprssor for a 8-12 degree superheat.
  3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Jeff, I don't know exactly where it is on yours, but it will be in the low pressure line. That's the large hose/line that runs from the compressor to the evaporator (from the compressor to the firewall).
  4. Like a Rock

Like a Rock New Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. We (myself and a friend that has the tools) did do a bypass and the compressor seemed to kick in, the belt was just mangled really bad and it gave me some fears. I was able to follow the low pressure line from the compress to the dryer and there were no valves anywhere. I'll have to take a closer look at the top of the compressor, it was difficult to get to as it's down at the front of the motor.

Thanks again.
    Jeff