1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Anyone ever have to replace upper control arms??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by thrasher, May 12, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

My 2001 Silverado2500HD 4X4 has 102k on the clocks, and I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had an upper control arm go. Mine are kinda crusty & flaky with rust, which got me wondering if they ever rust through?? (The uppers a 2 piece stamped & welded steel, lowers are cast iron)

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Depending on how deep corrosion penetrated you might just clean and repaint.
    I've purchased a few trucks from the rust belt and while they had corrosion in those areas I've never seen one bad enough to warrant replacing the parts.
    The true test is gonna be how deep the corrosion goes and how good you feel about the repair.
    If you need to replace your better off buying the parts from some place like LMC since anything from a wrecking yard has been out in the elements just as long.

3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I replaced both uppers on my 2000 silverado last year, but not because of rust, just because of the bushings being worn out, and rather than replace the bushings i had a smokin deal on mood upper control arms from rockauto.com, which also came with an additional +/- 1 degree of camber adjustment, but the control arms were only coated with orange rust, nothing that concerned me except aesthetics

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with the above posts. I live in the rust belt and have never seen someone replace them due to corrosion issues. I had an 02 silverado, the upper control arms looked rusty, the factory paint peeled off, but they were fine. I do see people replace them because of the bushings going bad as [MENTION=36460]reggiecab2000[/MENTION] stated.