1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

anyone ever paint chromed wheels?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by dvrjason, Dec 30, 2008.

1. dvrjason

dvrjason New Member

so i was looking at my chrome wheels and thought they would look cool if the spokes were black but the rim/lip stayed chrome, or vice versa. can you paint chrome? will it stay on there? how would you prep them? again, i only want part of the wheel black and part to stay chrome...any suggestions?
  2. jerrynino

jerrynino New Member

try duplicolor metal cast... ive heard some good stuff about it.
    its kinda like the vht niteshades... the paint is transparent so you still have the chrome look with a color over it... the smoke color looks sweet imo
  3. dynodon

dynodon New Member

you could paint them if you blast the chrome first....prep is everything.
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts

its all in the prep. ive never really had to prep chrome tho
  5. walleye101

walleye101 New Member

i have never had luck painting over chrome... i have sanded, scuffed and tryed other prepping and no luck. pretty much need to sandblast the chrome off where you don't want it and paint there. in my opinion..
  6. bb55hrt

bb55hrt New Member

The chrome has to be stripped. you need a rough surface for the paint to stick to. If they have a clear coat onthem, like some aluminum rims do you might get away with a quick scuff job. I'm not sure though
    BB