Anyone ever swap Tailgate to Barn Doors --Tough job, welding involved?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by overrunwithsons, May 14, 2007.

1. overrunwithsons

overrunwithsons New Member

I am asking for my husband, we have a Suburabn that has rusted out tailgate, broken window, and want to take the Barn Doors off of other one we have (same year - 1988 , one is Chevy, one is GMC though)- they are the same right? Wanted to hear from anyone who has done this Swap, this modification and give us some tips ?? Thanks so much.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

3. overrunwithsons

overrunwithsons New Member

Thank you for your reply, I seen where they said to have the hinges welded in, I see on the Burb with the Barn doors, it has 3 bolts per hinge, it wasn't welded. Not sure what we are doing yet. Sounds like a big job. It is either Major body work on the one with the tail gate (completely needs replaced), or Motor --tranny work on the one with the Barn Doors, might have to take them out of the one with the tailgate!

4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

welding hinges.

That welding is for the newer 90’s hinges on the barn doors.

The older ones were bolted in.

My only suggestion is to look and see how the barn door hinges are anchored, is it just a hole in the door frame and the hinge has the threaded parts on them. Then it doesn’t sound like it would be that bad of a job.

PS

All the door hinges on the 90’s Burbs are welded in place, even the passenger doors in the truck are welded in. real bright idea by GM.