1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone have a new Sierra 1500 6.2? Any issues/problems?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by fstclyz, Nov 17, 2010.

1. fstclyz

fstclyz New Member

I'm looking at buying a 10' or 11' Sierra 1500 6.2 SLT and am looking for any feedback on issues, concerns, etc. I read about the road noise from the right rear cabin.

Thanks,

CD
  2. SCGamecock

SCGamecock New Member

All I have heard is that it sucks gas. My mechanic has an '10 with the 6.2 3.73 2WD and he gets 14 mpg not towing. Will get 6-7 MPG while towing his 7000# trailer. OUCH. My 5.3 will tow 7000# and still get 14MPG. 17-18 MPG with daily driving.
  3. thoffman2000

thoffman2000 New Member

I have a '10 Sierra Crew Cab with the 6.2L. I love this engine! I run 10% ethanol and it gets 17+mpg empty on the highway, 15+mpg overall city/highway. I tow about 8000# occasionally and then it gets about 10mpg. I came from a 8.1L 2500HD that got about 11 empty so these numbers are a welcome change for me. I had a 5.3L in a '99 and it was a dog when it came to towing...won't go there again.

No issues at all so far with the 6.2L engine and 6-speed trans. I do have the rear cab road noise issue though. Very frustrating. You can read about this in the 14 page thread in this same forum.
  4. fstclyz

fstclyz New Member

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm looking at a 4wd crew with 6.2 and 3.73. Those mpg's arent too bad from what I expected. When you say you run 10% ethanol, do you mean 10% of the tank with filled with e85? Sorry, new to these alternative fuel vehicles.

I did read about the road noise issue. Drove a 11' last night which had some noise from the back seat. Didn't bother me as much as driving my current Durango with 150k miles on it ; ) but I'm sure it's an irritant. I think some good insulation would work and decreasing the air flow a bit in the cabin usually isn't a big deal.

I guess my other question in does any wish they would have bought a different truck (Ford, Toy)? I don't like the interior of the Toy's and the Ford is a bit utilitarian yet although the interior and design is very sweet.
  5. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 New Member

what he means is that he's basically using regular gas. regular gas has 10% ethanol in it. e85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gas.
  6. fstclyz

fstclyz New Member

Got it. Thanks. I wonder how much less mpg you get on E85? and if there's any more noticable power?

7. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 New Member

from what i've heard, there's no noticeable power increase and ur mpg goes down a couple of mpg. it's mainly for the people that want to support american farmers who grow the corn and not the oil companies. there's been research done where a vehicle was taken on a same trip twice, once with e85 and once with e10. it actually came out more expensive to take the trip with e85 because of the mileage drop. upside to e85 is that it's like 40 cents per gallon cheaper than regular gas (depending on where u live), the downside is the mpg drop. hope this helps