1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

anyone have a rusty frame?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevyman2004, Jul 21, 2009.

1. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 New Member

My 04 silverado has a very rusty frame. there isn't a speck of rust on the body but the frame has lots of it. I don't know what i should do or how to prevent it. please help
  2. Falcone

Falcone New Member

you can get it rustproofed where they spray the underisde of your truck with oil which coats it, not too expensive and some people swear by it,
  3. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 New Member

how about the rust that is already there? it's all over so just grind it all off or is there another way?
  4. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member

I used black tractor implement paint from tractor supply. I just went over everything with a scotch brite pad and painted away. Been about a year and still looks good.
  5. cartier

cartier New Member

the best way i say would be to get an drill and buy the wire brush (circular item with a bit at the end so it fits in the drills chuck) then remove the rust that way (wear goggles as well) then after your done that get an oil based lubricant ( or home remedy mix grease with transmission fluid and spray it on to the frame and stuff) in my experience i find the black stuff that looks like rockguard just peels of and makes the rust worse casue it holds moisture.
  6. spottweld

spottweld New Member

do you park in a moist area or do you live in a state that puts salt on the roads during the winter. and as to protecting it you have a couple of choices take a wire weel to the rusty spots and pirmer then paint. you can also use undercoating. or you can pull it all apart and have the frame sand blasted then primed and painted
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Unless you get every spec of rust out, paint is just covering up the problem. POR15 is supposed to be a great product, but it's a lot of work to do correctly.

You could use a product called Fluid Film. You can get it at a John Deere dealer or others. About $35 for a gallon. You can put it right over the existing rust. Any current moisture will get out, and the FF will keep it from rusting further.
  8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

its going to be hard to remove all that rust out unless you take off your cab and bed and get rid of all the rust.
  9. kylegillean

kylegillean Former Member

yeah ive got the same problem. im just spraying rustoleum undercoating on it after i wire wheel it. no sense of going all extreme for some surface rust
  10. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

Clean off the rust with a wire brush or even stuff called "NAVAL JELLY". Don't get it on paint it will take it right off. Then paint it with POR-15. It will be indestructable after that.