GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Anyone have this noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by feb, Dec 9, 2012.

1. feb

feb New Member

When I take off in my 2011 Silverado, I hear a clunk in the front. It will make the noise only once and only when it sits for a while and only going forward. Example, I back out to the road, go forward and there is the noise. I will go to the store, come out, start up and leave. It will make the noise when I take off. I don't think it is in the steering. It is not a metallic hit, more like a dull clunk. Any ideas?
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

That sounds like a universal joint to me... Only really way to find it is to get it on a lift so you can find the source. I'm sure others will chime in.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

2 wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive; and, is it in 2 wd?
  4. feb

feb New Member

Sorry, I forgot to say. It is a 2 wheel drive.
  5. j cat

j cat Active Member

block the front wheels lift rear wheel off the ground and rotate the drive shaft in neutral check for any lateral movement and als the U joints for damage. could be the tranny or rear diff bushing.

surprised a vehicle this new with this .
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I wonder if it is your a/c compressor cycling on or off. My does it occasionally for no specific reason. It is usually right after I start it and then take off. It does it one time and then not again until i shut the truck off.
  7. feb

feb New Member

That is a thought, however, it does it when the A/C is not on also. I am stumped. Sometimes it seems it is a bump on the lower firewall and sometimes it sounds way up front
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

When I have a problem like that (where I can't localize the sound), I will stand near the (in your case) front and have someone else start and move the vehicle. From outside, you can usually get a better idea of the location.
  9. j cat

j cat Active Member

if this is the 1500 strut suspenion this could be those struts. look for these issues with on line searching.
  10. O'Brien

O'Brien New Member

This may sound wierd ,but when I had my 2011 silverado I had an annoying thud sound in the front end as well. After many attempts at locating it I discovered it was the rubber hood stops on either side of the under hood that were in need of a light coat of grease.Once greased it never happened again. Mine used to do it more when I would either make a slow speed turn on an uneven apron or driving slow over a speed hump. Worth a try.
  11. feb

feb New Member

It has been a while since I posted but if I remember right, the noise is the abs system coming on.
  12. Dana W

Dana W Member

I think it is probably the front yoke slip shaft. It is supposed to slide in and out of the trans tail shaft housing as the drive line flexes. There may be a little rust on the splines, so it will hang a little bit and it will clunk a bit the first time it moves while it is cold. The older GM trucks had a wide reputation for doing this. I have no reason to suspect the new ones won't do it too.

My '99 burb does it almost every time I start off, even after it warms up. If it is bothersome, you can go to the trouble of pulling it out and brushing a tiny amount of grease into the splines, maybe with a pipe cleaner. It may go several months until it does it again.
  13. j cat

j cat Active Member

I had this yoke problem on my 2000 sil 4X4 . I found that changing the transfer case fluid fixed it . dealership did this when under warranty. so now I just replace this fluid every 40,000 miles and no clunk on first starting especially in cold weather .

some have had to replace this bushing because of poor quality control .
  14. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 New Member

I dont have that noise on my 2011 4x4, but it seems I may have a new item for my worry list, lol.
  15. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I can tell when my truck sits about a week and a half or more the front rotors rust up some and the brakes are real grabby until the rust is worn off..Ive heard the front caliper slightly clunk from this. But it generally goes away after a few miles of normal braking.
  16. Dana W

Dana W Member

Yes on this one. More likely than a rusty yoke shaft. Virtually all disk brake vehicles do this in humid/cold weather, so much so that it never occurs to me to think of it at all.