1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone have this noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by feb, Dec 9, 2012.

1. feb

feb Member

When I take off in my 2011 Silverado, I hear a clunk in the front. It will make the noise only once and only when it sits for a while and only going forward. Example, I back out to the road, go forward and there is the noise. I will go to the store, come out, start up and leave. It will make the noise when I take off. I don't think it is in the steering. It is not a metallic hit, more like a dull clunk. Any ideas?
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member

That sounds like a universal joint to me... Only really way to find it is to get it on a lift so you can find the source. I'm sure others will chime in.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

2 wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive; and, is it in 2 wd?
  4. feb

feb Member

Sorry, I forgot to say. It is a 2 wheel drive.
  5. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

block the front wheels lift rear wheel off the ground and rotate the drive shaft in neutral check for any lateral movement and als the U joints for damage. could be the tranny or rear diff bushing.

surprised a vehicle this new with this .
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I wonder if it is your a/c compressor cycling on or off. My does it occasionally for no specific reason. It is usually right after I start it and then take off. It does it one time and then not again until i shut the truck off.
  7. feb

feb Member

That is a thought, however, it does it when the A/C is not on also. I am stumped. Sometimes it seems it is a bump on the lower firewall and sometimes it sounds way up front
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

When I have a problem like that (where I can't localize the sound), I will stand near the (in your case) front and have someone else start and move the vehicle. From outside, you can usually get a better idea of the location.
  9. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

if this is the 1500 strut suspenion this could be those struts. look for these issues with on line searching.
  10. O'Brien

O'Brien New Member

This may sound wierd ,but when I had my 2011 silverado I had an annoying thud sound in the front end as well. After many attempts at locating it I discovered it was the rubber hood stops on either side of the under hood that were in need of a light coat of grease.Once greased it never happened again. Mine used to do it more when I would either make a slow speed turn on an uneven apron or driving slow over a speed hump. Worth a try.