1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone have this noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by feb, Dec 9, 2012.

1. feb

feb Rockstar

It has been a while since I posted but if I remember right, the noise is the abs system coming on.
  2. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I think it is probably the front yoke slip shaft. It is supposed to slide in and out of the trans tail shaft housing as the drive line flexes. There may be a little rust on the splines, so it will hang a little bit and it will clunk a bit the first time it moves while it is cold. The older GM trucks had a wide reputation for doing this. I have no reason to suspect the new ones won't do it too.

My '99 burb does it almost every time I start off, even after it warms up. If it is bothersome, you can go to the trouble of pulling it out and brushing a tiny amount of grease into the splines, maybe with a pipe cleaner. It may go several months until it does it again.
  3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I had this yoke problem on my 2000 sil 4X4 . I found that changing the transfer case fluid fixed it . dealership did this when under warranty. so now I just replace this fluid every 40,000 miles and no clunk on first starting especially in cold weather .

some have had to replace this bushing because of poor quality control .
  4. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

I dont have that noise on my 2011 4x4, but it seems I may have a new item for my worry list, lol.
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I can tell when my truck sits about a week and a half or more the front rotors rust up some and the brakes are real grabby until the rust is worn off..Ive heard the front caliper slightly clunk from this. But it generally goes away after a few miles of normal braking.
  6. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yes on this one. More likely than a rusty yoke shaft. Virtually all disk brake vehicles do this in humid/cold weather, so much so that it never occurs to me to think of it at all.