Anyone know of an under hood storage box for NNBS?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Jan 2, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman New Member

Hello all, my old 1997 Chevrolet pickup had a storage box under the hood in place of where the 2nd battery. The NNBS trucks have this spare battery tray as well, anyone know of an aftermarket storage box that can be put into this spot?

Thanks.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Most likely you can install one. I'm unsure on the how, but it is possible.
  3. stchman

stchman New Member

Do you have any specifics?
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

I need to see a pic of the spot to visualize it... But check amazon they might have something.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

How about a marine battery box used in combination with some 2" nylon webbing and a securing loop ... which you bolt down using appropriately-large washers through existing holes in the spare battery tray? Basically bolt the webbing into place, put the marine battery box over it, put things in it, and then use the webbing and securing loop to lock it into place.

Something like this has all the parts (marine battery box, webbing, and securing loop) except the bolts and washers, but you might want to check to see if the dimensions work for you: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1210/media/images

Note that I didn't even think about pricing; you may able to get something like that cheaper, elsewhere. Also note that if the seal of the lid to the body isn't as dustproof as you might like you could always use some adhesive pipe wrap (foam) to form/add your own dust seal.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

x2 on [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] 's response, as that is exactly what I used for my 97 and 2008 (battery container that is). They fit perfectly and are very inexpensive. The only thing I did differently is that I drilled a few holes in the bottom and bolted it to my battery tray and used a small bungy cord with hooks to secure the lid. The strap became too much of a hassle. I was okay with it not being totally sealed, as I use it to store my Hi-Lift accessories (chains, straps, connectors, etc.).
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I like the bunji cord idea. Also, if such holes are drilled one can actually re-seal the bolt holes by using some oversized washers, scoring the washers and the inside plastics around them a bit with a scotch brite pad, and then applying a (THICK! -- as in 1/4" high or more) coating of permatex clear (or black, since they make black) silicon adhesive and letting it cure at least overnight (and ideally 24 hours) before moving the vehicle. It'll set up and form a nice seal over the washers. I used this same approach to seal my my trailer tongue box after bolting it onto my trailer tongue; it's not let water or dust into it through the bolt holes, yet. :)
  8. stchman

stchman New Member

After some reading on the net, I found another GM truck forums and a U1 marine battery box appears to be just the ticket.

Having the box be perfectly sealed is not a huge concern as I don't plan on submerging the truck.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013