Anyone Shoot Trap or Skeet?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by Vincennes02261897, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Finally got a membership to a local shooting range that opened just a few months back. It's a great facility and I was excited to get out there with the old man yesterday for some Trap shooting. Neither one of us had ever given it a go but I really enjoyed it. I think I'll be heading back out there today for some more practice, though. haha

Anyway, just wondering how many folks actually do this. So who else enjoys shooting trap or skeet?

2. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We go all the time! I love the sport. We have a big army base about 20 minutes from where we live and they have a giant shooting range and trap and skeet setup so we go there all the time. Then we also have just a tire mount pigeon thrower so we can shoot from the back yard into the field. Its definitely a fun and competitive sport!

3. Vincennes02261897

That's awesome. I've wanted to try it out for quite some time but I guess I never really had the opportunity. I've been dove hunting a couple of times but never trap shooting. Now I've got myself looking at Trap guns so that I can really make a hobby out of it. What do you usually shoot? We took my Mossberg 590A1 (just because I felt like shooting it) and an old Savage Arms Fox side by side that belonged to my great grandfather. The Fox shot the best, by far. After all, it is more suited for the sport. The weight and ghost ring sites on that 590 weren't quite appropriate for shooting Trap.

4. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

It's a hell of a lot of fun, that's for sure. I've been shooting clays for about 8 years now, off and on. I started off shooting trap when I lived in Arkansas, but once I tried skeet I never looked back. I just recently got back into it down here in Louisiana. A lot of clubs down here want you to join, or you have to pay ridiculous fees per game, but I can't go often enough to justify the cost. I reload my own (20 ga.), which is rewarding in it's own right. I've also had my eye on a little .410 O/U...maybe after I'm done Christmas shopping!:sarcastic:

5. Vincennes02261897

Yeah. I was just having a conversation with Stephan about reloading. It is something that I've been looking into but I'm a little frightened about it since I don't know anything about the process. I know several people who do it with great result, though!

6. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 100 Posts

I've never messed with any memberships for shooting ranges. My buddy and I always just go in the back yard and shoot. We get competitive with it though. I'm talking no plugs throwing 5 at a time. That's the way to do it other than you go through shells...FAST

7. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

My neighbors wouldn't appreciate it much if I went out in the backyard shooting (neither would the Kenner Police Dept.)!! :fighting0037:I wish I could though. I've got a buddy who has 5 acres who said I could come out there anytime I wanted,...just haven't yet.

Vincennes, as far as reloading, it is simple once you get set up. It would take a while for the savings to pay for the equipment, but it's never really about the money, is it? I load a slower 7/8 oz load (~1125 fps) which has worked out great for me. Very, very clean burning and hardly any recoil. Once you get a loader set up, there are many published recipes that take the guess work out of it. I've loaded thousands of rounds through that thing and never once had a dud or a misload, which is more than I can say for any Winchester shells I've bought!

8. Vincennes02261897

That's great information, Sal. I appreciate it. Between you and Stephan, I'm thinking about getting into it sometime. It may be a while from now but I'll let you guys know how it goes.

As far as backyard shooting... my parents have a bit over 5 acres and I desperately wish I could just step out the backdoor to shoot. Unfortunately, they live in a gated "ranch" neighborhood that has a Home Owners Association that prohibits gun fire within the neighborhood. It's funny though, because deer hunting is allowed. Haha... only with bows though, I guess.... or however else you could legally do it without a firearm. As far as MY apartment is concerned, I certainly couldn't do it here! Haha.

9. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We have two remington 870 express 12 gauges and a winchester 12 gauge semi-auto. I love using any of them! Its more of a challenge using the pump guns when shooting multiples but the semi-auto is a blast to shoot!

10. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have been shooting skeet for about 5 years and got to a local gun club in Waxhaw, NC. Skeet is awesome, but about 2 years ago I tried their 5 stand and it takes skeet to a whole nother level. 5 stand really is as close to real fowl hunting as I have seen. About 6 months ago I found a place that is in the back part of a working farm that has a "woods course" which is 12 different stations in the woods and thickets shooting pigeons from all sorts of directions even one that simulates rabbits.

I started out with a Mossberg 500 and then moved up to a Stoeger 2000 and then to a Charles Daily Field & Stream and then to a Franchi Elite O/U and now my baby, a Beretta Urika 2