Anyone swapped factory 20's for 18's on a NBS Silverado?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by phroadrick, Jul 14, 2010.

1. phroadrick

phroadrick Member

Anyone swapped factory 20's for 18's on a NBS Silverado?

Mods, I know this is in the wrong forum, but I posted it in suspension and not a single response. Help!

Hi all, I did a search and couldn't find this info anywhere. I have a 2008 Silverado extended cab with factory 20's and Goodyear LS 2 tires. This damn thing rides like a buckboard. I am thinking of swapping for a factory set of 18's that are a very similar style. The main reason being, I have driven a 2009 Silverado extended cab at work, identical to mine, that has the factory 18's and the difference in ride quality is night and day.

My truck kicks very sharply over bumps and bad pavement and will beat you to death. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this or have you gone from 18's to 20's and noticed a decrease in ride quality?

I know my gas mileage will also increase for two reasons. 1) the 18's have less rotational mass (weigh less). and 2) they have a smaller (narrower) tread width which will allow them to coast further when I lift off the gas pedal. I have driven MANY GM trucks and they all coast a long way after lifting off the gas. Not so with my 20's. When I lift off the gas on mine, it starts slowing immediately.

I know some of you will think I am de-valuing my truck by removing the factory 20's and you are right to a point. If I were to trade it in the next 2-3 years, I would reduce my trade value by $800-$1000. However if I keep it 7-8 years or more, it really won't make a difference.

The bottom line is I need to produce a better ride quality for everyday driving and this seems to be the easiest solution. It is also the cheapest, as it won't cost me a dime to swap.

The tires on the 18's are 265, 65 18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's.

I welcome any and all comments and opinions. Oh, and I'm probably going to do this VERY soon, so please chime in!

[​IMG]

18" rim ​

2. fatmatt

fatmatt New Member

i have some stock 18's with new tires. the truck has just over 2000 miles on it, so they are brand new....too bad you're in SC i would trade with some cash

3. chucknorris

chucknorris Rockstar 100 Posts

i have done this myself, but not bc i didnt like my ride... i didnt like the look. so i cant comment on ride quality (although it is very comfortable as it was before) but it looks better in my opinion.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I like 18's on 4X4's and 20's on 2wd street looking trucks. JMO.