1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

anyone taken apart wing window locks?

Discussion in 'Chevy Uplander & GM Minivan Forum' started by Kingstud, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Kingstud

Kingstud New Member

I just discovered the wing window locks don't work. They look easy enough to disassemble just wondering if they were serviceable.
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

This is a little old, but I'll give it a try.
    Do you mean the vent windows in front of the door window? And by 'don't work' do you mean you can't get them open or they won't lock?

The lock handle is held in place by a roll pin. Push it through, and the handle comes off. There are a couple of spring washers, and something threaded that can be adjusted to tighten up the handle when it's all back together. [i think that's right]

If you haven't already figured it out, and have more questions, I'll take apart one on Da Bus to refresh my memory.

Good luck,
  3. Kingstud

Kingstud New Member

I have not messed with them, too many other projects. They do not lock, someone could easily stick a tool in and pry the lever up. The lock buttons seem to be stuck in, is there a spring the pushes these out?
  4. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

Uh, I was messing with mine a couple of days ago, thinking of this post...

As I recall, there is spring inside the button. It has probably just gotten gummed up over the years. If you catch a minute, open the window, throw a towel over the paint, and spray some brake parts cleaner in the button. Work it back n forth a bit to see if that will free it up.

In the meantime, I think I'll take mine apart tomorrow, then we'll both know! vent window 002.jpg

Good luck,
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. Kingstud

Kingstud New Member

huh yeah looks simple enough! that pic is a great help and I like your idea of cleaning in place. I still have to finish my inverter install, hinge/bushing replacements and rack straps. the cab door check was cake to replace.
  6. Kingstud

Kingstud New Member

ha! this did not go well. Pushed the pin out, pulled off the handle expecting to catch the button and spring. Button did not budge, so I was trying to figure out and pried a little with tool....button flew off and spring disappeared in my lawn. Searched with metal detector and jobsite magnet. Need to find replacement.

I did figure out the problem tho. the cast piece with slots had deformed and the wings on button were bound. Solved with a flat file. Weird gota do same to drivers, well except for the losing the spring part.
  7. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

Well, good to hear you got it figured out, sorry about the lost spring.
    Somewhere in my yard is the one hex driver bit I need to take off the cowl, turn signals, trim pieces...
  8. chestateeridge

chestateeridge New Member

A pic would help