1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone tried this? (VB-2 door treatment by cascade audio)

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by reggiecab2000, Apr 16, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They do make a few things and everything I've used by Cascade has been very good..
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Spendy, but if it's 2x the damping then it's worth the price. However, this little bit of fine print is super important:
    "One of the last steps when properly treating the door is to apply small pieces of VB-5 gasketing foam to prevent squeaks, rattles and panel buzz."

Based on that it looks like the stuff becomes rigid/hard ... hence the rattles/buzzes. This means it's great for what you see in the photos, but you can't layer it between contact points (like where metal meets metal; or metal meets plastic; or plastic meets plastic) in your dash or center console, etc to mitigate squeaks, rattles, and buzzes like you can an asphalt material.

Another consideration is if you have to remove it, say, from the interior door panel so that you can replace, say, the power window motor ... it's probably a remove-it-all-and-replace-it-all type of scenario if you want to keep that look. That's another advantage for an asphalt-based product -- you can heat gun it, peel it back, do your work, and then put it back into position.

My read on it is there's limited application ... but it's probably fantastic for its application if all instructions are followed ... until you have to do work past where it's positioned. I'd have used it on one layer of my doors (inner skin, as shown in photos) if I'd known about it ... and kept some around in case I had to work on the doors, later.
  4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

i will be giving the company a call tomorrow to clarify on the uses and applications of this product, But i do definitely like the application on the door panel, and I would like to know as well, since it does not specify, whether it becomes rigid or stays pliable.

I will update with results...
  5. davidshark1

davidshark1 New Member

Not so far.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I bought/sold a 49 Packard last January that a previous owner had used this product on, I didnt have the car long enough to find many negative issues with the product. One thing I did note was that car sounded solid when closing the doors "thunk" and the interior was as quiet as a bank vault.
    I left the stereo blasting Z Z Top and you could barely hear it on the outsid with the doors closed.
    One negative issue I did find was if you didnt have some type of ventilation it got stuffy and warm inside quickly.
  7. SurrealOne

Heat retention due to the improved insulation is definitely an issue when you sound deaden, be it with this stuff or Dynamat or Fatmat or what have you. Despite using a different product, I have the same thunk, the quiet interior, and can even crank music without it being noticed unless my windows are down. I even have some ZZ Top in the truck, too! Likewise it also gets warm inside, quickly, in the spring/summer. This is a GOOD THING in the winter, mind you, but not so much in the summer.

99% UV reflective and 70% radiant heat reflective tint on all windows (including the windshield) really helps, though. It was much worse before I tinted...
  8. tbplus10

I normally dont tint windows on classic cars like the Packard, buyers like certain upgrades and will tolerate non period/factory upgrades but for some weird reason window tint on these classics really upsets them, and when Im trying to sell a $65,000 classic I dont want anything messing with my profit margin. Personally I'd love to tint the windows as dark as I can, it gives a good look to some of those old cars.
  9. SurrealOne

So tint it ... and then take it off before you put it up for sale. Less filling, tastes great!
  10. tbplus10

Their normally up for sale within minutes after I buy them.
    My personal collection is holding steady at 12 classics and or hotrods for now since I dont have good storage for more than that. And Im to cheap to spend money on something I dont have to.