1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone Tripple Tow?

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by tbplus10, May 30, 2013.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

In Texas along with probably a half dozen other states its legal to tripple tow.
    For those not familiar with tripple towing it's simply having two trailers behind your truck.
    Most tripple tow laws are similiar:
    65' max combined length
    max trailer length 45'
    max tow bar length 15'
    Any trailer over 4500lbs requires brakes
    Safety chains required on trailers over 3000lb
    70 mph max daytime speed for any trailers under 26' 65 mph max nightine speed
    27' and up max daytime 60 mph and 55 nightime
    5th wheels max daytime 60 mph and nightime 55 mph no matter length
    Tow vehicle or trailer can be no wider than 8.5' and no higher than 14'
    Max combined weight is 25,999 class B license required for 26,0000 and above
    I regularly tow a 45' three car goose neck tripple axle trailer behind a 2005 C/C dually 4wd diesel.
    Next weekend Im planning on attemting my first tripple tow with my 18' ski boat (total length 20.5') behind a 25' trailer, yea I know Im already starting out illegal by .05 buy I figute if a trooper is gung ho enough to stop and measure that close he'll find something to get me on anyways.
    I was thinking about putting the boat and trailer on my car hauler but even at the back of the hauler the trailet was very close to 14', I know I'm willing to break the law by length but then worry about height? The reason for this thinking is theirs a couple low bridges on the way to the lake Im going to, one as low as 15', but the height sign is old, and looks a lot older than about two or three repavement jobs.

I know I cant back up with this rig, but my real concern is cornering.
    Anyone ever tripple towed and have a few tricks or tips to share?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

No experience here, but I had a few thoughts...

Pray your insurance company doesn't notice the 0.05 overage if something happens, as they might try to deny coverage based on it. Better yet, pray nothing happens, as that'd be a very expensive mess, in either case.

Good luck!
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Take your corners very wide, and watch out for the "crack the whip" effect on the highway. Truckers pulling doubles and triples get in trouble all the time because the rearmost trailer starts swaying and it's hard to pull out of.
  4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

be careful on corners, in wind, and when semis go past. with that length something else to consider is passing anything. itll be even harder to know just where the end of that back trailer is.

double, triple and quadruple check all connections, if something looks at all funny, fix it.

happy hauling.

Alex
  5. tbplus10

All good tips, thanks guys._
    I dont plan on passing anyone with this set-up, Ill be the slow guy their passing.
    I was out a few minutes ago checking wire connections and hitchs and realized I could draw both reciever hitch's in one more hole which shortens everything by 3", after remeasuring everything Im at 44' 9".
    I have a portable monitoring camera Ip mounted on the wakeboard pole with a monitor on the dash of the truck to watch things at the back end, I use it on my car hauler all the time to make sure I dont back over anything, it cost me about $275, which coincidently was about what the repair damages were for the pole I backed into that sent me looking for a monitor system.
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

no experience but a guy in my neighborhood used to do it with a dodge ram with a gooseneck for his Scout and then a small rv trailer behind that. Other than wide corners I have no clue.
  7. JimmyA

JimmyA Member

Drive as straight as possible! All lights are working! Go "WIDE", stay in your lane! Enjoy your vacation......My grandfather did it that way and enjoyed.
  8. Sounds interesting for sure. I've seen the semi trucks triple towing, but didn't know it was legal for passenger vehicles anywhere. Take a couple pics when you get it all set up, would love to see it.
  9. tbplus10

I found a site that lists some basic trailering info for most states and Canadian Provinces, I was surprised to find out how many states allow tripple towing.
    27 states and 3 Canadian Provinces.
    Its actually allowed in some states Ive lived in and never realized they allowed it.
    Most states limit the length to 65'.
  10. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

I know it's legal here in Alberta, but I've only seen a couple of people actually do it. To have 2 trailers though, the front trailer has to be a fifth wheel that is longer than the second trailer, and the hitch on the 5th wheel trailer is required to be mounted directly to the frame. Not that I'd want to be towing a second trailer with a hitch that isn't mounted that securely... but then again, not everyone in the world is that logical.