1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone used a roll on bedliner on inside of toolbox?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by wmkess, Jan 4, 2013.

1. wmkess

wmkess Member 1 Year

I've been wanting to do something to the inside of my toolbox to keep stuff from sliding around as well to keep down the noise from things moving around in there. First I threw in some dealership car mats that came with my wifes's car as a temporary fix but that was basically useless. Then I found some rubber matting that is used for flooring on boats and that has done a good job. I still would like to apply a roll on bedliner though to the bottom and sides of the toolbox to try to muffle noises and to keep things in there from banging on the aluminum walls.

Anyone ever done this? Any special prep work to the smooth aluminum? How did you like it? Also, any other alternatives or suggestions?

TIA
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Everything that I have read is that ANY kind of metal toolbox has to be sandblasted to completely get the coatings off, I wanted to paint mine black and was told numerous times it would just be easier to buy one that is painted black from the factory. Also have been told the chemical strippers may not work the best as they are not suited for aluminum or stainless steel as that is what most boxes are made of
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

you could always contact a lineX or rhino lining rep. You could pick their brain and find out what might need to be done to get something to bond to the inside.
  4. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I know a guy that did roll on bedliner on his 95 Toyota. When he showed me it it actually looked good. Also he told me that he really didnt do anything exept for clean it, but im not sure if thats all he did because he tends to bend the truth a lot. But thats all i think you would need to do for a bedliner, or maybe just scuff it a little bit, but im not sure.
  5. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I've heard of people putting plasti-dip on their wheels (except I think it was the type that you use a paintbrush to apply) and it staying on there pretty good. Could be a winner Curky.
  7. wmkess

wmkess Member 1 Year

I actually have considered that but haven't researched it at all. If it is commonly used on rims surely it could handle the inside of a toolbox.
  8. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

They also have a rubber dip that can be rolled on. It is the same kind of rubber that would be on a wrench handle. It is close but don’t get it confused with plastic dip that they use for rims and so on.
  9. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

make sure what ever you get has instructions for aluminum application as aluminum is not easily painted and i dont know what other coatings will have trouble sticking to aluminum
  10. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Stop by you neighborhood UPS or Roadway warehouse and ask for a length of conveyor belt. They will have scraps, it makes a great box liner, made so stuff doesn't slide around and wears like iron.