1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone Used One Of These New Cowl Hoods?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by OldBlueZ71, Feb 9, 2012.

1. OldBlueZ71

OldBlueZ71 Member

2. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Nope, I haven't. I have installed a fiberglass hood on a mustang GT though. There's a 99% chance that hood is fiberglass although the frame appears to be steel. The seller does not say what the material is.

The nature of the fiberglass beastie is that there will be fitment and surface flaw issues. You will need a big bucket of thin body filler, some glass cloth and resin and some long sureform sanding blocks. I say glass and resin because often the edges need to be built up or cut down and re-finished to get the fit right.
  3. OldBlueZ71

OldBlueZ71 Member

The description states "steel", but I called them anyway. Sure enough, sheet metal skin and inner frame that bolts directly to the hinges and retains factory latch.
  4. Dana W

Couldn't find the word steel on the ebay page, but you're right. Stylintrucksdotcom has it too and they say steel.
  5. OldBlueZ71

OldBlueZ71 Member

Yeah, you have to scroll way down on the page under description. You had me wondering, so that's why I called them.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It's a steel hood made by the same Co over seas as everyone else uses.. When I worked for Goodmark I learned alot about the Co's that make these hoods...
    The inners are all made by the Co that makes them for GM..

stonemountain 014.jpg stonemountain 013.jpg Remember this truck in the Goodmark ad's in Truckin'?
  7. Dana W

Well, that's a good sign.
  8. OldBlueZ71

OldBlueZ71 Member

What about the outer skins, do those vary by company or are they all pretty much the same quality?
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Back in the day when Goodmark was owned by Mark H they had 1 Co making all their hoods. Now there are a few over seas making all the hoods and other parts. Most are about the same as stock in thickness.

Mark is no longer with Goodmark he now owns a Co called autometaldirect.com
    And some of the Org people from Goodmark are there now..

Heres a better link.. https://autometaldirect.com/about?o...alanche 1500&level1=47&level2=416&level3=2004
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  10. michaela8456

michaela8456 New Member

yes i got one great hood all steel easy to put on bolts right on.