Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

anyone with an afm 5.3L that is going the distance?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by yotchie, Jun 24, 2013.

1. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

i have the a 12 silverado with an afm 5.3. so far im very happy with it i have just over 14000km on it. i have seen the forum "another 5.3 with afm bites the dust" does anyone have an afm 5.3 that is going strong with some clicks on it (miles or kilometers) under its belt so to speak?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Dont know how many miles your looking for but my 2011 Silverado has 26,877 miles on her.
    Like you Ive read the AFM horror stories so Ive been watching my oil usage between changes carefully, so far Ive used less than a quarter quart between changes, which have been done at manufacturers recomended points with manufacturer recomended fluids by dealer technicians.
    Recently had my third oil change, Im averaging around 8000 miles between changes.
    The only other thing notable about my truck was after I put on a Magna Flow dual exhaust (dual from muffler to exut, 2" pipes) the truck goes into 4cyl mode slightly earlier than before and will now sometimes go into 4cyl mode while driving surface streets at speeds under 40mph.
  3. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

Just turned 70,000 miles on my 2008, with no engine problems so far. (Knock on wood, hope I'm not jinxing myself!!)
  4. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My 09 is sitting in the driveway with 97989
  5. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Have almost 40,000 miles on mine with no issues. Done a lot of interstate travel with it and some light towing. Been toying with my tuner for a bit, and the custom tune I'm workin on actually deactivates the V-4 mode. Still need some more tweaking so I've reinstalled the eco tune which still uses the V-4. So far my only issue was a potential recall for the tranny check tube. Took it in to the dealer, and they put on some ugly piece of crap foam to "insulate" the tube from vibrations and prevent cracking. Otherwise no mechanical issues to date!
  6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I traded in my 2008 Silverado with a 5.3L AFM engine with 73K miles and never added any oil. My current 2013 Silverado has 10K miles and I checked the oil level (~4K on the current oil change) and still on the full mark.

A friend of mine owns an auto shop and is well aware of the 5.3L AFM oil usage and told me to use Mobil 1 oil and an AC Delco oil filter. I seriously doubt the oil filter choice would have anything to do with oil consumption, but I gather the choice of oil might.

At any rate, I have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 in my vehicles since 1998 AND used AC Delco oil filters, and I've never had a problem with lubrication.
  7. Tailhunter

Tailhunter New Member

I have a 07 with 188 000 kms, it's alright so far. I did notice a difference when taking it somewhere else for an oil change though. Bought the truck from a dealer with a fresh oil change, and drove 5000 km before the next oil change without adding oil. I took it to a different mechanic for an oil change then, and I had to add 1 litre at 2500km, and just made the 5000 mark when my oil light came on again. Now I keep going back to the dealer where I bought the truck, and I have not had to add oil before 5000 km since. Something made a difference, just not sure what.
    I don't know what oil the dealer uses, but my other mechanic uses Pennzoil, which my last truck was still running strong on at 386 000 km.
  8. stchman

Use Mobil 1 and an AC Delco oil filter.
  9. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I wasn't going to wait and play a "what if" game with this. I ordered up the Range module and put it on shortly after the 2013 got parked in my driveway after coming from the dealer. It got all of 240 miles on it before the AFM was told to take a hike. Not sure it will help any, but I did pay for 8 cylinders and I want them all to be packing the gear. No gold brick cylinders. Everyone works at this ranch. No, to be serious, I just never seen any appreciable benefit to the AFM gig. Sounds good on paper. But most things do not play out quite that well in the real world. Why take a chance. From what others who have shut down the AFM, I have not ever heard of anyone taking a hit in the fuel tank for doing it, and I have heard of several who have reversed an oil drinking problem. There have been a couple of claims of picking up a little mpg, but no real data to support it.
  10. stchman

I wonder what percentage of 5.3L engines have the oil consumption problem. I know that people that have it are going to complain the loudest, but people that don't have it aren't going to say anything.