anyone with an afm 5.3L that is going the distance?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by yotchie, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Cowpie

Cowpie Active Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yeah, and don't forget to factor in that only a small percentage of owners even frequent forums like this and know what is being talked about regarding their engines. In all honesty, I am not sure that the oil eating issue is as wide spread as it would seem from the forums. My dealer claims no one has had an issue. But he is not a mega dealer in a major city. Like I stated. It was cost effective to reduce the risk of a problem. But the oil eating issue was secondary to my wanting all 8 cylinders working all the time.

2. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

thanks for all the responses. i have to agree that most people who dont have the issue have no reason to talk about it. not all people who like and or drive chevy's post on forums let alone just one. i figured the positive side needed some exposure lol

3. funlover02

funlover02 New Member

Made it to 155000 before I had to replace motor, never used oil but the afm lifters bit the dust.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

155,000 is not a lot of miles; but, those lifters will fail early. The key, in my opinion, is clean, good quality oil, that will not turn into sludge. That is one of the reasons I use synthetic oil.

5. funlover02

funlover02 New Member

I had regular oil.changes and only used a good synthetic oil. My mechanic always thought that oil was the problem until mine acted up and he knew I had regular service and he also knew what oil was used. So I don't think oil is the problem.

6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

what oil was used exactly ? did you do these oil changes ? how often was the oil changed and what filter used ? how did the engine look inside clean or carbon and sludge ?

7. funlover02

funlover02 New Member

Oil was changed every 4 to 5 K miles unless oil monitor showed it should be changed early. Used Dexos oil and AC Delco filter. From what I was told inside of motor looked clean.

8. j cat

that is good info that with the proper oil /filter /change use these last afm engines at about 150K miles when they wear out due to the AFM. most of the older engines like my 2000 5.3L non AFM appear to go twice as much on the failure miles.more like 300K ..

9. soberdude

soberdude New Member

I have a 2008 with 135,000 km, used synthetic oil, 8000km between changes, I would have to put a quart around the 4000km mark between changes, some times piston slap when its cold.

I just recently tuned the AFM out of it, ill let you know if it helps correct the oil consumption.

10. j cat

what brand of dexos GM approved oil are you using ? I have been using mobil synthetic 5-30wt that is now dexros gm approved.