1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Apartment gate closed on my truck.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dlg804, Oct 24, 2011.

1. dlg804

dlg804 New Member

Last week I had an apartment gate close on my truck. It was not my fault. I was not trying to follow anybody in or anything like that. The
    Complex has the whole incident on camra, but is claiming that they are not liable for their gates. Has anyone ever had a similar incident with a company not wanted to fix damage caused by them to your truck. If so how did you go about it. Do I need to get an attorney or just let it go.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Is there a Sign, Next to the Gate, Stating that the Complex is Not Liable for the Gate(actions of it) if hit a Vehicle and/or a Person??.....also is the Gate is on the Property of the Complex??
  3. dlg804

dlg804 New Member

The only sign that is there just states that you are under video monitoring. The gate is on the property of the complex as well.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

I would mention to them, what I expressed above......that there is No Sign Stating that the (Complex is Not Liable for the Gate(actions of it) if hit a Vehicle and/or a person) and see what they say to that......and that the Gate is On the Property of the Complex........how much and/or what damage was done to your Truck from the Gate hitting it??
  5. dlg804

dlg804 New Member

It has around $600-$1000 worth of damage to the paint and body on the drivers side of the truck bed according to my insurance adjuster. I will deffinatley
    Mention what you said next time I go to meet with them.
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

For the amount of the damage to your truck, I would Not let this go, if the Complex is Not willing to work with you on this issue, don't argue with them, Instead I would speak with an Attorney, and see what he/she can do for you......Good Luck and hope it all works out for you.......and last Take pictures of the Complex.....the area of the Gate and your Truck ASAP!!

Edit:....I forgot to ask, do you live at this Complex and/or does a family member/friend live there??
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ok so not sure how much this will help, but my wife is in property management (regional manager for a large publicly owned company). I posed the question to her if this happened at one of her properties. Her response was that she would have you file a claim with the insurance (their property would send info to their risk management dept.) and then the insurance would then most likely go after the property. doesnt help when you have to pay the deductible, unless your insurance would wave that until they investigate and decide if they are going after the property. Make sure the surveillence tapes dont disappear. thats your only evidence that you were entering the gate properly, otherwise they can just claim you were following another vehicle through.
    Sorry to hear about the damage
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

Dave Excellent Advice.....and x2 on making sure the Tapes Don't Disappear and/or get Erased, can you say Nixon (WaterGate)!!
  9. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

I agree with Mike and David... make sure the surveilance footage doesn't get erased - get a copy of it if you can. And take pictures of the area around the gate (lack of a sign saying they aren't responsible for it). I strongly suggest doing this before you talk to them again. All it takes for them to be off the hook would be to put up a sign just outside of the surveilance camera's view and claim it was there all along.
  10. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with the Video Tape thats the main Focus as of now because if they say they quote on quote lost it you are really out of luck and there will be nothing you can do!