Are brands of oil filters, air filters, and spark plugs importiant?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by billsf100, Oct 9, 2010.

1. billsf100

billsf100 New Member

I always purchased Motorcraft when I could for my deceased ford, I want to change filters, plugs and oil in my 2002 Tahoe, do brand names of these items matter a great deal with a GM product? What is your pick?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Most people that have been around prefer WIX filters, and Oil brand is kinda up in the air. Plugs on the other hand need to be AC delco Platinums.. There have been issues for guys who were running other brands of plugs.. AC delcos are the way to go for that!!!!

3. mnoble57

mnoble57 New Member

I always try to use AC Delco filters and plugs. Never an issue using them

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x3....On A/C Delco Spark Plugs......The Vortec Engines Run & Perform Better went A/C Plugs are being used......and on the Oil filter.....I use A/C Delco

5. mnoble57

mnoble57 New Member

I have always used AC Delco plugs and filters on my 3 Tahoe's with no issues

6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

ac delco plugs, I use wix/napa filters and mobil 1 or castrol motor oil.

7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Ac Plugs all the way, my father and I can tell you what happens when you don't. As for oil I use Royal Purple and for the filters I use K&N for both.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  8. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I think any GM vehicle will be just fine with AC delco oil filters, plugs, parts and just about any brand of product. My first oil change I let the dealership do it because they have a $19.99 Saturday afternoon special and that was with Mobil One regular oil and an AC Delco oil filter. I am perfectly comfortable with those brands.
    Next oil change I will go pick up a WIX NAPA Gold oil filter, I already have a case of Mobil 1 synthetic waiting that I picked up at Costco on sale so I will go to those products.
    Do I think the vehicle will last longer with a WIX filter and Mobil 1 synthetic? Maybe. But I doubt I will be owning the vehicle that many years from now so the extra cost isn't likely worth it but what the heck, I guess it makes me feel better, than the vehicle actually running better.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Definitely AC Delco plugs. For wires, AC Delco or Napa Premium/Belden. Unfortunately, the ACD oil filter is a low grade Champ Labs product. There are many choices that are better. Mobil1/K&N (same filter with the nut on the end) is the best filter available. WIX/Napa Gold or Donaldson/Amsoil are also top shelf. I'd take a Fram ToughGuard over the ACD, but ACD over the ExtraGuard.

For oil, Mobil1. Or any other name brand full synthetic.

10. racekid91

racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I run AMSOIL 5w-30 and an ACDelco Filter. Then again, I do work at a GM Dealer so I get some discounts, lol.