1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Are my leaf springs done?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by ippielb, Aug 28, 2009.

1. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well, i'm installing my lift kit myself, i want to save $600.

While i'm doing the rear, i was thinking, my leaf springs are looking kinda old, and if i put the add a leaf alot of stress will be put on the new overload. Are my leaf springs done?

I was thinking it might be worth it to get a new set, so i don't have to take off my wheels and the u-bolts again, but it wouldn't be that hard this time, as they're brand spanky new.

Here's the pictures, all i need to know, is yes, or no.

Thanks

Passenger side all apart ready to have the add a leaf put in. I left the pin in there so i wouldn't lose it, if you're wondering.
    [​IMG]

Drivers side still together.
    [​IMG]
  2. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

On a side note, could i just heat up the metal and let it drop back down? Or would this not be good for the structural integrity? Heating and cooling makes the metal stronger, but also makes it more brittle, this would not be good as the metal flexes correct?
  3. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow New Member

yeah i would repalce em just to be on the safe side i just did mine old and sagging so i went and also put in Polyurethane in place of the rubber and it rides like new again