1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

are neon lights legal

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by blacksilverado07, Mar 25, 2008.

1. blacksilverado07

blacksilverado07 Rockstar

does anyone know if solid not flashing blue neon lights under a truck are illegal in Houston Texas? please i need help before i install them
  2. dryfuss10

dryfuss10 Rockstar 100 Posts

need to check with local law enforcement to see if it is
  3. blacksilverado07

is there anyway to check over the internet?
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think the law covers the color, not the light. You're ok with blue, green, etc. Red is generally not acceptable. This is going off memory.

I don't think Texas code covers any of that. That's all online. It would have to be in the county/city or other municipality. Try Houston Traffic Laws on google or something like that.
  5. Dan

Dan Rockstar 100 Posts

in illinois they are illegal while driveingany color but can be on at showes
  6. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Here is a good rule our Police go by. Don't mount the bulbs in such a way as to see the actual bulb itself. I did a set a while ago for my son and I mounted them inside the frame rails. As for colour I'm thinking the same thing as Steve. Good luck. BTW blue would look "tight" on that black truck :great:
  7. TomsHHR

TomsHHR Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Most states I have seen do not allow them while driving or visible when driving unless they match the clearance colors on the vehicle.

But, I could be wrong. Red and blue are associated with emergency along with white in states.
  8. blacksilverado07

does anyone live in houston and have neons?
  9. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

In Kaahleefornyah (Arnold says it that way) the law states that as long as the source can not be seen the auxiliary lighting is OK. Don't know about Houston, but isn't it just a fix-it ticket or would that be a moving violation?
  10. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yeah, neon lights on a truck are illegal. Well, at least is should be illegal to rice out a truck. :)