1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Are straight pipes bad for my engine?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Georgia_Dave, Oct 2, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Georgia_Dave

Georgia_Dave New Member

I'm trying to choose an exhaust system for my 1999 'Burb. I've got the 5.7, stock exhaust, and I've watched a few YouTube videos where guys have gone with straight pipes right from the catalytic converter. I like the sound, and I live in the middle of nowhere so local ordinances aren't a problem. My question is whether it hurts my engine performance at all. Input?

2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

there is no "harm" to your engine when you let it breathe with less restriction, but.....
    if you look at multiple threads across the internet, when straightpiping, there is a "minimal" loss in back pressure, and having back pressure is better suited for more low-end torque. aside from that.... everything is great about it, and even better when properly tuned...

3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Sadly the 1996-1999 Tahoe and Burb have no tuners available that can help with those kinds of upgrades, but if your keeping the cats that should have enough back pressure for the engine, if it isn't then there's tons of kits to add some back pressure.

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

another thing to do with straight pipes is to add an X pipe (or H pipe) just to help equalize pressure.

5. Jeepman

Jeepman New Member

Downsize the pipe by one size. I owned a 83 K5 Blazer with a transplanted 454. I had no cat and was straight piped from headers to 3" sidepipes. Sounded great but my low end torque suffered. Going to a 2 1/2" rear exit with an equalizer pipe helped greatly and still sounded good. For torque (seat of your pants feel) you must have more back pressure than the cat.