1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Are Suburbans trucks?

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by 4x4suburbans, Sep 6, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 4x4suburbans

4x4suburbans New Member

Hi y'all,

I just wanted to know if y'all out there think a suburban should be called a truck?

I have a 98 suburban k2500 w/ 7.4l I think my burb is a truck.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The older 2500 series are on a truck platform the 1500 are not But both in my book are Great SUV's/Trucks..

3. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I consider them a truck

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I consider my Tahoe a truck so I most definitely consider the Burb a truck. Of course the newer body styles are not on truck frames like my Tahoe (short bed 1500 frame) or your Burb (Regular cab regular bed 2500 frame)

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I consider my yukon xl a truck. While it had lower payload and towing capacity than the suburban due to the coil springs in the rear rather than leaf springs. I can still tow, haul full sheets of plywood, and have the same drivetrain as a truck. Sure, I do not have an open bed, so loading a refrigerator or washer and dryer standing up is impossible. Grabbing a yard of sand at top soil at the local landscape supply is not going to happen. But, at times I think that my yukon xl is more versatile than a truck. I do brick restoration work. I can throw a ladder on the luggage rack, pull the rear seat and fit any tools or supplies I need in the back. Then they are all in a locked and secure location, rather than an open bed. I have the ability to haul 7 passengers, 2 large dogs, all their gear, and tow a boat. Plus, if I need a place to sleep I can just fold the rear seats down and stretch out! (Wish I had that in my younger party days!)

6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The Tahoe and Suburban are the same body on frame construction as the Silverado. The difference is that the newer 1500 Tahoes and Suburbans use coil springs in the rear as opposed to traditional leaf springs that a pickup uses. Forums members, correct me if I'm wrong on the coil vs. leaf thing.

I do indeed consider Tahoes and Yukons trucks.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't know about NNBS SUVs. But, when I was looking for my yukon xl I found that the 2005 suburbans and tahoe had leaf springs while the Yukon XL had coil springs. It seems like the GMC SUVs came with coils while the Chevys came with leafs.

8. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I say they are trucks. My main factors are things like engine and rear suspension.

A V-6 engine is the minimum. If it has a 4-cyl, it's not a truck. I think Suburbans only come with V-8s.

As for the rear suspension, leaf or coil springs don't matter to me, as long as it has an axle, it's a truck. Independent rear suspension is not a truck.