1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Are the tail lights really different from lift gate and barn doors?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by blackburb, Apr 12, 2013.

1. blackburb

blackburb Member

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was looking a tail lights the other day and noticed that also. Looking at the pictures, it looks to me that the barn door lights do not stick out as much as the lift gate style. This, of course, is my perception and depends on the angle of the truck and the lighting in the picture.
  3. blackburb

blackburb Member

4. Pikey

That is interesting. As you noted also, the after market companies all call out different parts for the lift gate vs barn doors. Maybe they are making them to thick so the door can not swing past them.
  5. blackburb

blackburb Member

That's a possibility. GM Parts East also only shows a single left and right. It's hard to make sense of the list, but the replacement part numbers 168990 & 168991 are the L & R assemblies. (the T89 exception is export vehicles). I find it somewhat bewildering the each side is a different price.

http://www.gmpartseast.com/chevy/co...wd_2-lamps-rear-tc027600102-l18mt1k25906.html
  6. blackburb

blackburb Member

I just picked up a used pair of IPCW's from a liftgate Burb to try out. Unfortunately, it's still gonna be at least a month or more before my Burb get's here.
  7. Pikey

Cool, Let us know how they fit. Your brother is driving it from California, Correct?
  8. blackburb

blackburb Member

Hi is. It'll be worth the wait to get a rust free truck. All the ones I looked at around here (except for one Denali when I found out they were awd) had some rust starting on door bottoms or where the running boards meet the rockers. And they still wanted top dollar for them. Not only is this one rust free, but even paying the gas to get it here, will still be less than what's around here.

Besides, the weather has been too crappy to get the '94 ready to sell anyway:grrrrrr:
  9. Pikey

I know what you are saying, When I bought my 05 it was a pain. People wanted top dollar for crap. I even looked near my mother in laws in Cleveland. They wanted even more there.