1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

are throttle body spacers worth it?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by packerhead78, Sep 3, 2013.

1. packerhead78

packerhead78 New Member

I got a 97 k1500 and was thinkimg bout putting a spectre throttle body spacer in it. I work at autozone so id get a discount on the 60 it cost. But after talkin to a buddy about it he said alot of people told him it doesnt really do anything and is a waste of money. Now my question for anyone that has had it should i get one or is it not worth it? I no airaid has one that is supposed to be nice but im not sure on it. I just wanna increase my hp and make my truck sound meaner. Any thoughts? Thanks!
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They are a waste of money on any fuel injected truck and can actually take away power on the Vortec engines. You should look in to a CAI and maybe exhaust to change the sound.
  3. packerhead78

packerhead78 New Member

Yea see ive had some people tell me that n i def dont wanna take away the power i have. I heard its better to just put the money towards a programmer or a cai. I been lookin for a decently priced one but the best i can find is sprectre which nothing wrong with them id just like a k&n but they want a 100 more than the sprectre. I do have duals on my truck but i believe im gonna put straight pipes on it cause i think my cat is going bad lol
  4. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Send me via PayPal whatever it would cost you and you will see the same benifit.
  5. packerhead78

packerhead78 New Member

Well i work at autozone so i can get a 149.99 spectre cai n then 20% off of it. But the k&n one is like 300 plus there. I did call them and they said theyd sell it for like 235 which wasnt bad
  6. JTWard

JTWard Member 100 Posts

I installed a "AIRAID" Throttle body spacer on my 1990 305 V8 and it was definitely worth the money. I can feel the extra torque when first pulling away from a red light. But you have to keep in mind that a throttle body spacer is ONLY good from about 800 RPM to about 1500 RPM. They are designed for that sweet spot. When you look at almost any trucks engine, it designed for work, not high RPM speed use. But $300.00 is ridiculous, I only paid $159.99 for my spacer from Airaid ?
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For your truck it made a difference because its TBI not SFI that the 97 has so in the 90 it was helping the fuel and air mix while in the 97 it will just cause turbulence in the air entering the intake and have 0 effect on fuel mixture.
  8. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

From what I understand, throttle body spacers can have some benefit on engines that are TBI(fancy carburetors), but for more advanced fuel injection like MPI, SFI, etc., they are worthless unless you want a whistling sound.
  9. packerhead78

packerhead78 New Member

The spacer was only 60 and came with all the gaskets and stuff. I was talkin bout the cai. But yea the more i read on it the more i dont want it lol. Sounds like a good thing but idts lol
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 100 Posts

No modifications are worth a damn without a programmer to tune it for the mod