1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Are two carburetors needed?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Big_Mike, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Big_Mike

Big_Mike Member 100 Posts

I've noticed some older muscle cars with big blocks utilize two four barrel carburetors for fuel distribution. Is that really necessary? Considering back when NASCAR used carburetors, it was only ONE four barrel carburetor per engine...
  2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

It depends on what you're trying to do. You're going to be able to pump in more air with 2 of them. There were also some that came with 3 2-barrel carbs, and then there are the independent throttle bodies as well. Also, 60s muscle cars were all built during the 'baby boom' era, when there was no care in the world about what gas prices were, or that we'd ever run out of oil, or burn the atmosphere to a crisp. A lot of it was just done, simply becuase it could be done.
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Me n my dad rarely use a dual carb set up. One 780 Holley will get you all the power you need. My dad did own a 572 dual quad set up and that Chevelle would go.
  4. Big_Mike

I am drooling LOL.... 572... OH YEAH!! I bet that Chevelle would indeed "scoot." But I just thought that two carburetors were a bit much... But like with so much else with automotive set up, it depends on application.
  5. Big_Mike

Also, thanks for the replies!!!
  6. ahmitchell1

Got to drive that car very few times in my life. Learned how to handle a car that can't hold tires in that thing
  7. Big_Mike

I can imagine so. How much power and torque was that beast putting to the rear wheels (or what was left of 'em afterwards). Sounds like that's what I would call a "car." :)
  8. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Oh, I just had to chime in. Oh, yeah... 2 four barrels are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. *Grunt Grunt*

Just like my performance tune is, and that Cold Air Intake, and Performance Muffler.

*grin*

Like many performance gains, more fuel in = more power out. Two carbs is better than one, in that department. My guess is, though that at WOT, that sucker measured gallons per mile! LOL

Nascar wasn't about sucking fuel down, it was about optimal power to longevity. :) Got to go around the track more than once, you know? But going from stoplight to stoplight, or sprint track racing? That's a whole other story!

-Skippy.
  9. ahmitchell1

It was close to 750 ft/lb. my dad can be very sneaky with the dyno,especially when I started racing him. The day my cobra beat him in a straight line was the day he realized how amazing forced induction and fuel injection is and has started to use it a lot more. I think he knew he'd lose and wanted to make a 16 year old kid happy cuz he built both motors.Not to fair of a race my track car isn't street legal by any means He ran a 13 wide on the back of it btw and your right there was not a lot left afterwards
  10. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

I run 2 750 double pumpers on my blown 327. When you are running a 1/4 mile you can actually watch the fuel guage move, it's like flushing a toilet.