1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Are you a DIY repairman/woman?

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by TrailLeadr, Oct 22, 2007.

Newest Gallery Photos

?

Regarding your vehicle, are you a DIY repair person?

1. I do all repairs myself

58 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. I do most of the repairs myself

89 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. I do the basics (brakes, belts hoses)

50 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. I have the hubby do it

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. I have the wife do it

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  6. I don't do any (vehicle in warranty period)

19 vote(s)
    8.4%
  7. I won't, I don't trust myself

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. I have too much dispoable income to be bothered

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  9. I don't drive a vehicle, I just come here to read the posts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (?)

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How many of our members do the work themselves, when their vehicle is in need of repair?

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I try to do most of the work myself. Diagnostics in particular I like to do myself. Some of the big things (engine/transmission/etc. overhaul) I prefer to farm out.

3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I do basic because of time (or lack there of) and down time. With just a touch of laziness.

4. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i do most of it on my own. but since i am only 18 and dont have alot of knowledge i get help on things i cant figure out right away like why certain things wont work on the truck and when i need welding done

5. skivhere

skivhere Rockstar 100 Posts

I am a cheap bastard...so of course, I do everything I can!!

6. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I do all my own repairs, except for transmission overhauls

7. Duranged Mike

Duranged Mike Member

Same here, I do most everything myself.

8. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

Currently, b/c of the magically computerized VW's, I just do the basics on my cars, but with the addition of the 'burb and the availability of a spare car, I will start doing more myself b/c I can aford to have one of the cars down for a week or so. Plus American Steel is so easy compared to the German gadgetmobile.

9. NHSilverado

NHSilverado Former Member

Obviously the dealer does the warranty work. Once upon a time I did everything else. These days I have the dealer do it all pretty much. I have a great relationship with this dealer and their labor rates are no worse than any other mechanic's rates in the area( I do NOT use OEM parts from them however = WAY too expensive ). With my bad back I just am not up to wrenching like I used to be. Pretty much I only putz around with a few accessories installs and the like these days.

10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I do about 85% of my own work. As I get busier and busier at work this percentage is changing.
    I almost wish for the days when I had no money and lots of time to tinker with my cars. Two cars have been sitting in the yard for two weeks now needing oil changes that I dont have the time to do and refuse to pay a mechanic to do a job that simple.