Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Are you a part of the 99% here in America?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Enkeiavalanche, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IdahoChevy91

IdahoChevy91 Member 100 Posts

I agree with SurrealOne about people not paying their loans back is a big factor.

While I do agree lack of jobs is a big problem, the lack of motivation in people to actually try to get a job is worse. Just a few weeks ago I saw a story about manufacturing plants that had hundreds of job openings, and there are probably thousands nationwide, where the company would PAY you to learn the skills needed and you would start off, at $12-13 an hour, but no one wants physical jobs anymore because we as a society have become too lazy. I got laid off from my job where I made about $1500 a month, with multiple loans out, and because I knew I still had to pay those loans back, I got a job in a month, even though I took a job making $600 less a month, yet how many people just sit back and whine that "I can't find a job?", when the simple answer is, they aren't trying hard enough. People now won't apply to fast food and delivery and hard labor jobs like I did, because they think it is below them. The unemployment rate could easily be half of what it is right now if people would get off their ass and actually TRY to find work, like I did. I am still paying off some debt that I got into during my one month of being unemployed, but if I had treated losing my job like most of America does, I'd be in worse shape. Just my .02

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] and [MENTION=50532]IdahoChevy91[/MENTION] I agree completely with what both of you are saying. We (Canadians and Americans) have gotten lazy, and a lot of us do not care if loans are paid.

Where I am going with this, is look at the manufacturing jobs, that were once jobs done in the US and Canada, that have been moved off-shore. ALL of these jobs have moved to countries that are currently growing their economies at incredible rates.

Those jobs were moved to those countries because the labour rate is very low. We, the consumer are to blame, the 1% moved the jobs off-shore, we buy their products because they are cheaper than US made, we have allowed the 1% to prosper.

3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree considering my mom works for Fannie Mae who people love to blame for a lot of the mortgage crap but when you look into it more they did what they had to do because of the government especially in the Clinton era. It's on everybody. Don't live beyond your means. I make very little money so I do very little things. I'm bout to be done with college and I will be moving home for a year to save money and then begun building my house on the farm.

4. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

99.7% of all employer firms are small business in America.

In 2009, 660,900 small business closed, you cant blame the 1% for those job loses.

America job market is always changing, businesses has to be competitive therefore people have to adapt their skills and learn how to adapt to what is needed to employers.

Next are we going to blame the robots for taking jobs that humans use to do or the people for developing them?

5. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Interest has nothing to do with income. To give everyone the same interest rate would be completely unfair. Why should someone with repossessions and late payments get the same interest rate as another person who pays everything on time?

As far as jobs drying up, I worked in a very small industry, which was taken over by corporate fat cats and computers. Instead of sitting around waiting for money to fall out of the sky, I found a way to make a living with the skills I had learned in my career.

In my adult life, I have been homeless, lived in an abandoned car, eaten from a Burger King dumpster, spent 2 years in a wheel chai (that I was never supposed to be able to escape from) battled cancer and diabetes. Rather than to sit around playing "victim", I worked a job doing hard labor for minimum wage while living in abandoned vehicle in the snow.

I tried to ask for help, but I didn't get any. I had to work it out on my own. It never occurred to me to blame anyone else for my situation. I was too busy trying to pull myself up. Sometimes it meant moving half way across the country and leaving my stuff behind for a chance at a new opportunity, sometimes in towns I had never heard of.

Those who blame the system for their woes will eventually work it out after losing their dignity in the very dumpster they climb into to find something to eat. Been there, done that.

America is a country filled with people who feel entitled to riches and security. Others are expected to pick those up who have come upon hard times. I have a friend who is from Egypt. He barely has 2 dimes to rub together. He endures people treating him as if he is a terrorist because of his accent and skin color and yet he touts America as the greatest country in the world because of the opportunities that are here for everyone. He reminds me that there are people sneaking into this country because it is still the greatest country in the world with the most opportunity anywhere.

Abdul works his own business 6 days a week running a small body shop... Sometimes days go by and he has no business, but he gets up every single day and comes to work and stays there all day hoping for a customer. Some days he makes a few dollars, some days he doesn't. But instead of playing the victim, he gets up every single day and gives it another try.

Incidentally, Abdul did a fantastic job wet sanding and refinishing my truck (pictures forthcoming) I felt compelled to design and buy business cards for him because he cant afford to buy them. Not because he did a great job on my truck, but because he comes to his shop every single day with a positive attitude and the drive to carve off a small piece of the American dream. He is willing and is trying to help himself, so I consider myself to be privilidged to help Abdul while he finds his way.

I share this personal information about myself, not to say "look at me" or to add feathers to my hat, but to say that if a high school drop out like me can overcome life's obstacles, then I see no reason why others can't convert their challenges into success stories too.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Dont tell me that I'm taking over my dads sprinkler company and contracting company. I'm worried but I am educated to run a business and I've helped him my whole life. But very good point

7. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Maybe I miss understood what we were talking about or maybe i just didn't explain myself. well enough. I was not talking interest rate. I was talking taxes. maybe i miss read. My bad.. I will pay better attention.

8. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Income taxes, now there is a topic we should talk about.

I think all income taxes should be replaced with a consumption tax, like a sales tax, applied to every thing purchased.

The rich buy more, let them pay more.

9. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Income taxes or consumption taxes, it doesn't matter. Government doesn't have an income problem it has a spending problem. I mean the rich is still paying more taxes now and that hasn't solved anything. The government will find out that cuts will be the only answer.

10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, I'm just shocked at how glossy and well presented was that pack of lies and half truths. Just stunned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.