Arlington Texas Red Light Cameras - Not Legal Yellow Lights

Discussion in 'TX - North Texas Chevy Truck Club' started by ChevyFan, May 25, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

I just got a ticket for a red-light camera in Arlington, Texas. This is as the corner of Cooper and Division streets, I was heading south and I remember the night the ticket was taken.

They send you something in the mail and there is a link to a video you can watch. Guess what, I watched the video and timed the yellow-light ... it's BELOW the limit that the state sets for a yellow light. I clocked it at about 3.25 seconds and the minimum that the state requires is 3.5 seconds.

I guess the city of Arlington is looking to get a little bit of extra revenue out of regular old folks like my by speeding up the yellow lights to an unsafe and illegally short duration to trap people like my who would otherwise not had run the red light.

I'll see if I can download the video and post it up here to see. It's a flash format so it's being difficult.
  2. ChevyFan

3. omegafiler

omegafiler New Member

Man, that sucks. Cities seriously need to find other ways to earn more revenue. This has nothing to do with safety. In fact, there are some cities that are taking down red light cameras because people aren't running lights in those areas and the city is no longer making enough money. It's just stupid. They need to make stuff like that illegal.

Are you going to try to fight it? Not sure how much luck you'd have, but wouldn't hurt to try I suppose.
  4. mburn039

mburn039 New Member

Statistics show that those cameras reduce the amount of side collision accidents because less people are running red lights but they increase rear end accidents by a higher percentage because people slam on their brakes at yellow lights. These things are dangerous and the whole idea should be banned. This is another example of political imperialism. The government has more power than the people who elected them due to bull**** red tape, clauses, and down right deception!
  5. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member

they had those down in the twin cities and had to stop using them because the ticket needs to be issued to the person driving not the person who is registered to the vehicle
  6. ChevyFan

Well, for me, in this instance, I was driving and I did go through a red light, by about 1/10th of one second, I mean it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO close that it is too close to call.

My point is that the city of Arlington must know that they need to make money, and the video that I can watch, I timed the yellow-light and I never clocked it at 3.5 seconds, it was anywhere from 3.2 to 3.35 ... I know it's hard to time these things on the computer, but I never got 3.5 seconds.
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member

Like Z71 Guy said, they did that for a long time in MN but after numerous court appeals they removed it along with the cops that would clock cars and mail them the speeding tickets, as this doesnt prove who is actually driving the car, so if in your video they cant make it out that it is you keep pushing them to prove that its you.
  8. vncj96

vncj96 New Member

Steve, sjst out of curiousity where do they have your vehicle when they say you committed the infraction. To be issued the sitation for "running" a red light the majority of your vehicle must not have passed the halfway point of the intersection to be issued the sitation.
  9. ChevyFan

It was right on the line, it's possible that I was maybe 1 foot away from the white line ... hard to tell, I think I can download that photo and post it here.
  10. ChevyFan

Here is the photo. It got me going 38 MPH which is 55.73 Feet per Second.

So that works out to be the following if the yellow light was tripped early .... (the Trailblazer is roughly 16 feet long)

.2 seconds = 11 feet (most of the entire length of the vehicle)
    .15 seconds = 7.75 feet (1/2 of the vehcile length)
    .1 second = 5.5 feet (the entire engine compartment and front wheels)

Now, it's possible that being a mere human that I am not able to correctly respond to the video by clicking on a stop-watch ... that's the human element ... I suggest that people are NOT robots and while I constantly measure 3.35 to 3.4 on the stopwatch ... if it's that close then it's not worth giving a ticket ..

Attached Files:

11. ChevyFan

I called the company that does the video for the city, they would not allow me to download the video so I can play it frame by frame in a video tool, that way I could tell exactly how long the light was yellow for. That's really bad if you ask me, I can't defend myself properly if I don't have access to the source files.

The company that runs these red light cameras:
    American Traffic Solutions
    14861 N Scottsdale Rd., Suite 109
    Scottsdale, AZ 85254 USA
    480-368-0900

Their website is www.ViolationInfo.com, which name I find to be very offensive ... it's an indication that they presume guilt and you have to prove that you're innocent ... but whatever. They're using a tool called Axsis VPS (Violation Processing System), I find the whole thing to be very big-brotherish.
  12. ChevyFan

This is really disturbing actually. The company's website actually talks about how cities and municipalities can make cash and how they will help advance them money ... so much for the argument that it's not all about making money for the city.

http://www.atsol.com/services-public-finance.html (5/26/2009)
  13. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

Yup, those things are horrible. Here in Charlotte (NC) they put up redlight cameras and speed cameras. I believe the fine was $50 if it got ya. It was supposed to be generating extra money for the city. Turns out after the adminstrating company collected all of their fees, Charlotte was getting about $2 per violation. They were removed after the 1 year contract was up. Thankfully
  14. bradfry

bradfry New Member

out here in az the cameras have taken over. our red light cameras are in almost every city and our freeways all have them running up and down the median and shoulder. 11mph over and they flash. there are some loop holes and interesting facts to these cameras though.
  15. jediracer

jediracer New Member

Middletown, Ohio has red light cameras. My wife tried pushing a yellow and got caught by a camera. The ticket and picture were mailed to me. Both of our vehicles are registered in my name so I got the ticket, 100 bucks!

Yesterday I was in a left turn lane about 3 cars back and the light turned red. The 2 cars in front of me had their picture taken while they were clearing the intersection. They both were beyond the line waiting to turn left way before the light was red or even yellow. I'd be pissed if got a ticket clearing an interesection!
  16. jmonte3

jmonte3 New Member

yep the red light cams and speed cams are obnoxious, we have a few in our city in louisiana...but it seems that they are taken over like in az because they are installing them at more and more intersections everyday...They are a complete eye sore first off...2nd when your nearing an intersection that has a stop/speed camera you get all paranoid about running the light or going to fast which can cause other accidents...not too long ago my cousin had his car stolen and the person who stole his car ran a speed camera and a picture of the crook and ticket was sent to his house, i think they had a hard time getting the speeding ticket removed too...idk its just a lame way to make extra cash, we also have speed vans in laffy...they just sit next to the road and catch ppl speeding...the gov is whack soon enough will have cameras in our homes:sign0173:
  17. Rossy

Rossy New Member

Next they can mail us all tickets for all those times we broke the law when there weren't any cops or cameras around. :eek:
  18. Bikeman

Bikeman New Member

yeah man, big brother, I hope they don't put cameras in homes, I think there are some laws that may affect me bedroom activities:gasp:Of course they may give me the footage. nah...J/K I have my own cameras for that:whip:
  19. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member

they have those here in huntsville alabama but cant use em to catch speeders or red light runners.only for monitoring traffic flow during rush hour.as said before it was ruled that if youre getting a ticket there has to be an actual person with a ticket book to catch you doing it.
  20. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member

I remember them putting a whole bunch of cameras up in Tucson, AZ. I luckily never got a ticket but I know some people who did and they definitely had some yellow lights that would only seem to flash for a second or two and then turn red. I've almost been rear ended a couple times there because I wanted to make sure I stopped before the red. At least they don't give tickets for people sitting in the intersection waiting to turn though. I've done that many many times and never received a ticket for it.

-Greg