Article: How To: Homemade Silverado turn signal mirrors

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by pmf608, Mar 25, 2011.

1. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My Home-made turn signal mirrors

I just finished installing these today, I had made them quite some time ago using the glass from my truck's original mirrors. I found that if you drill through the black plastic backing the mirror glass and remove the adhesive foam goes, you can put LEDs behind the mirror glass and have them shine right through.

I used LEDs I had sitting around from the old 3rd brake light for my canopy. (They aren't great, so thats probably why a tiny little brake light needed 30+ LEDs). This means you can't really see them in the daylight, but they are cool in the dark. I can put up with this considering it didnt cost me anything to do it.

Here's a video:

[​IMG]

And a picture of the glass when not lit: (Note that these are completely stealth with no cirles in the reflective surface like the factory mirrors)
    [​IMG]

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Freebee's are always cool! Nice job.

3. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

i think that would bother the hell out of me at nite.....ill stck with my plain jane mirrors. but great job.

4. pmf608

I can see how that could bother you. Personally I like the signal mirrors on pretty much any vehicle, but the dim LEDs I have in mine should help make them less distracting at night, unlike the stock mirrors on my mom's Buick Lucerne, which light up the whole side of the car in red.

5. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Thats pretty cool, I really like how the LEDs are totally invisible when they're not being used. Good work:great:

6. pmf608

Thanks. I like the hidden LEDs too. If I were to do it over again though, I would buy new LEDs and make them bright enough to be useful in the day, but for $0, I'm happy with them

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, good job. They're an option for a reason, but I really like having them on the demos that I get and once you get used to them you miss something at night.

8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

That's pretty damn cool :great:

9. lancer

lancer Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

i agree they are pretty sweet!! i'm looking to upgrade my mirrors maybe i'll give this a try!!!!

10. pmf608

I suggest it. As long as you make sure to seal all the wiring on the LEDs well, it should work out pretty well too.

I do have a couple of tips for anyone interested in this though:
    -- Buy LEDs that have worthwhile brightness (unless you happen to have some sitting around you can use like I did)
    -- You have to separate the plastic backing from the mirror glass. I used epoxy to reattach them afterward, since the foam adhesive will only work once. This worked very well
    -- For the holes for the LEDs, I epoxied short lengths of drinking straws to the plastic backing as tubes to mount the LEDs in. This worked well for me.
    -- When drilling the holes in the plastic backing and cutting the straws if you use them, I would put them on just a bit of an outward angle after doing mine. This will help make them more visible to other cars, since LEDs are so directional.

If anybody is interested in doing this and has any other questions, feel free to ask