Assault Rifle Ban in NY

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by the phantom, Jan 15, 2013.

1. lube70

lube70 New Member

Guns don't kill people.....people kill people. If you don't address the mental health issue and the back round checks needed to get a firearm, then there will be more deaths.

I have a permit to own here in NJ (strict gun laws here), and personally, I feel that no one "needs" an assault rifle. The constitution made it clear in my opinion that the people shall have the right to bear arms against any invader foreign or domestic, which meant that if the government decided to come after the people, the people have the right to defend themselves or if someone breaks into your house, you have the right to defend your family and property.

Back in the days of the constitution, there was no shoprite or foodlion to shop at. You HAD TO KILL YOUR FOOD...,anyway, think you have it bad, here in NJ, if someone breaks into your house, you have to leave to get away from them instead of defending yourself. If they get hurt, your legally responsible...how is that right!!!
  2. silverhobey

silverhobey New Member 100 Posts

Not sure if any Politician has brought up what you stated about criminals
    not following laws, but the rest of the public has to follow even more laws
    and regulations almost every day in many facets of life.....Brian

(....but the criminals do what they want, when they want)
  3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

plain and simple. you smash your finger with a hammer, do you blame the hammer? Or do you blame yourself? Same goes with guns. blame the person, not the tool.

Alex
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

But our president is a 'tool' and he's absolutely to blame for the latest mandates. Thus, we have one case where it's ok and even appropriate to blame the 'tool'. :happy:
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I can see having one gun per person per household, and assault rifles are just overkill. I have a .45 registered, and I took a gun safety course and I have a ccw permit. That law is stupid in one aspect, It controls the "legal" sale of weapons and ammunition. I go to flea markets all through the summer, and all I see is assault rifles and other probably stolen guns for sale. Who's buying them?? Young teenagers who aren't even carded, meanwhile all the vendor cares about it cash money.

The mental health thing is also a crock, you might be sane when you buy it but what about down the road? Mental illness comes on people whether they know it or not, I hope that everyone here stays sane.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I believe that you mean you see civilian knock-offs that look like assault weapons. They are semi-automatic, not fully automatic ... and therefore they are not actually assault weapons, as no military, national guard, or para-military force would conduct an assault with the semi-automatic knock-offs sold on the civilian market.

Frankly, neither would I if I needed to do so for some unforseeable reason.
  7. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There are already laws about selling firearms to underage (BTW, most states it is legal for you to buy a rifle when you're 18), and felons. Do we need laws to say that it is now more illegal?

Also, can you give me a specific definition on what EXACTLY as "assault" rifle is? I am a gun enthusiast and I don't even know what an "assault" rifle is. Also, cosmetic features(color, shape, texture, hand position) don't count in the definition or example.

- - - Updated - - -

Last time I checked it was the Bill Of Rights, not the Bill Of Needs.

Remember, the 2nd Amendment has ZERO to do with hunting and feeding yourself and everything to do with the citizens being the last line in the defense against tyranny.
  8. the phantom

the phantom New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Your right nobody "needs" an assault rifle.... Yet. If you consider any rifle that is a semi-automatic with some sort of military type feature (very open to interpretation) then I believe it is now illegal to purchase. A lot of people use these style rifles for hunting fox, coyote, bear, and deer. Ive taken my AK-47 out deer hunting to be able to shoot 200 yards which in most part is unfeasible with a shotgun. It should be my choice what gun I would like to use for hunting, target shooting, and my home defense. I should not have to "advertise" or register to the government what I keep in my safe at my house if I have never had any run-ins with the law or have any mental health issues. I think the government needs to have mental illness checked because it sure seems like they're going to hell in a hand basket.

As far as your other comment that you must leave your house if someone is breaking in. I find that hard to believe that you are not allowed to defend yourself. I sure know where I wouldn't move to when I decide to leave NY....And I will leave NY... eventually.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

virginia, (outside of DC) is very gun friendly....

Alex
  10. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member 100 Posts

I dont know about this... If I do not take my rifles out enough the start whining at the door cause they want out.... and sometimes I even think they go without me. the only way I know is the bipod tracks in the snow and having to clean dirty rifles when I had not used them. They do have a mind of their own...:))))