1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Assault Rifle Ban in NY

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by the phantom, Jan 15, 2013.

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Honestly I just called it an assault rifle, because the title of the thread said assault rifle ban. All I know is they look nothing like a normal shotgun or rifle, and when they have "banana clips" on them what am I supposed to call it?? This morning on the news 2 guys in my area were target practicing in there backyards with ak47's , and they were drinking lol...they shot two neighbors houses because the target was paper and had no back drop.

I spend my money on trucks not guns, to each there own.
  2. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN Member 1 Year

Well you can't fix stupid. THose same two guys could go get in their "trucks" after drinking and kill a entire family or busload of children and it happens all the time but no one is outlawing trucks.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I own rifles, pistols, and shotguns, unfortunately by the new terminology used one of my rifles is now considered an assault rifle (Ruger 10/22 with an aftermarket stock and scope set-up for long range rodent sniping), thankfully I live in Texas where the state Govt. has decided to give the federal Govt. the finger.
    Don't know what I'll do if the time comes that the Govt tries to collect my weapons but I do have strong beliefs that after serving almost 25 years in uniform I put my life on the line to protect the right to own weapons and I wont give them up without some sort of fight. The battle is far from over on this issue but that just means gun owners and anyone that worries about the erosion of their rights needs to make their voice heard loud and clear with their respective representatives.

Anyone catch the fact that New York's new law forgot to exempt Police and Military on clip bullet quantity's?
    The policemen s benevolent society is planning on lobbying the state senate to insert an exemption for Active and retired Police officers on this issue.

Funny most representatives have either armed guards and or permits to arm themselves but they don't want you to be armed. Their permits are normally rubber stamped and they don't take any training to posses them either.
  4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

of corse, they are more important then us regular people.

Alex
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=44531]Sierraowner5.3[/MENTION]:
    Spot-on. Police and Military personnel should have no more entitlement to firearms and/or accessories than the average law-abiding citizen because when the uniform comes off after the shift is over ... that's all they are.

@tbplus10:
    Consider that the militia of our founding fathers' day DID have the same small arms as their British masters' military ... and the 2nd Amendment was crafted in that context after the Brits passed laws denying the possession/ownership of firearms by colonists.

Thus, I don't think it's EVER appropriate for the police/military forces of a government to have small arms that the populace cannot have. If the government ever turns on the populace the populace is at a disadvantage due to the disparity of force engendered by a government that's turned tyrannical ... and must now fight an asymmetric instead of symmetric battle.

This means I've always been troubled that the legislation in 1934 makes it illegal for civilians to own/possess/craft fully automatic firearms since our military still fields them. Either it needs to give them up or the populace needs to be allowed to own them. I tend to lean toward the latter since the right to keep and bear arms "shall not be infringed" ... yet has been. (They could have avoided this by amending the Constitution, by the way.)

Surreal

P.S. Gun bans work about as well as Prohibition worked -- and we know how well THAT went. Look at Chicago which had a ban on handguns for years -- check out its violent crime statistics where handguns are involved, sometime, if you have any doubt that bans don't work.
  6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

give this man a cookie, for he speaks the truth!

Alex
  7. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

The thing that bugs me is the immediate attachment to the mental "challegned" we shall say. Look, most of these people commuting these outrageous crimes are not levelheaded or by any definition, sane. BUT what gives anyone the right to question the motives, or lack there of, of anyone who has some form of mental handicap. So let me get this straight, we are going to start classifying and segregating those who can buy guns and those who can't? Wtf? I have migraines, that's classified as a metal illness because of the lack of physical change to my brain during a migraine episode (fun fact, be ya didn't know that one! :). ). So now will I be allowed to buy guns and ammo? For now, of course, but damn if this isn't a slippery slope we find ourselves on. Our government should be damned ashamed of themselves!
  8. JayDawg

JayDawg Member

That is why I will never live in New York. I lived in the people's republic of California for 30 years and lived under their oppression I moved to Colorado and have discovered freedom. Just to the North of us, Wyoming is even more free. I am a law abiding citizen. Therefore, the govt. doesn't need to know what guns I own or how much ammo I have.
  9. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Move to Alaska if you want the MOST freedom!
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'd rather we just sell CA and NY and go back to a flag with 48 stars...