GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Assault Rifle Ban in NY

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by the phantom, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

im giving serious thought to south dakota or montana when i get out of the army...

Alex
  2. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

....or Alaska!
  3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

You guys may remember that I'm new to guns and debate with the wife for awhile trying to get something for home defense. Well, I got a shotgun and am getting into shooting now and my pistol license (8 month process) is in the works. A buddy of mine and me talk about this all the time. The law here in NY is just ridiculous. Unfortunately, that's what you get when you live in a Democratic state.

The NRA and NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn has hired 2A lawyers to review the NY law. I believe this legislation will get hit in the courts, but there's no telling what parts will be upheld and which won't. The 7 round mag is ridiculous, even though they'll "let us keep" our 10 round mags as long as we only load 7 rounds. As @Phantom states, time to join the NRA and do all that we can to support the gun lobby. If Obama wants to sign executive orders, then we must prove that these new laws are unconstitutional.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

@Als09Sierra, my home defense shotgun has a 7 round magazine tube ... so of course I expect my pistol and rifle magazines to have more!

This is Lola; she is a show girl. She's also my home defense shotgun and if someone sees her in a capacity other than transport, range practice, or photos she'll probably be the last thing s/he sees, as she was built for exactly one purpose -- to protect me. If I could only choose one gun before running from a horde of zombies this would be it, as it can defend, feed, and clothe me, and that bandolier of shotgun shells has 50 rounds of differing ammunition types to allow for all three.
    [​IMG]

Here is another example of why Nanny States like CA and NY are places I'll never live -- I built her from the ground up (as in every pin, spring, part, etc.) a few years ago. Her name's Mercy and she was built to toss 73gr 5.56 NATO rounds accurately (3-5 MOA) to 500+ yards all day long -- and she has the rifling, trigger, optics, and magazine capacity to do it.

[​IMG]

This is Mercy's brother, Kurt. He's a completely custom job, too, but instead of being built from the ground up he was fashioned from a 1st generation Bushmaster M17S (bullpup) ... a firearm with a design flaw (heat buildup) that was resolved with the venting you see, here. He's been redone in black since this photo was taken (I wasn't happy with the two-tone), and, yes, he's balancing unassisted on his grip (something the gen1 M17S could never do) as a result of re-engineering for close quarters controlability.
    [​IMG]

If anyone asks why we need such firearms, the answer is simple -- we do not 'need' them, but we are 'citizens' with a right to keep and bear arms, and it shall not be infringed. We should not be compared with the disarmed 'subjects' of Canada, Britain, and Australia who have no such right, as it's apples and oranges.

Obviously I enjoy building, modding, shooting and naming firearms -- safely and sanely, of course. I can't see myself living somewhere that infringed on my ability to do so. Ever. Also, I'll not be traveling to NY as long as it remains a Rogue Nanny State, as I'm unwilling to help fund such behaviour with my tourist dollars.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  5. Creepy Crawler

Creepy Crawler New Member

Yeah I'm getting tired of hearing semi auto rifles being called "assault rifles". In my opinion an assault rifle is a fully automatic rifle that can pump out a ton of ammo with one pull of the trigger. A semi auto is just a normal rifle that can hold multiple rounds due to having a replaceable magazine. Typical ignorant people that barely know half of what they're even talking about. Responsible gun owners shouldn't have to pay the price due to a few rotten apples.
  6. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN New Member

+1 CreepyC!
  7. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

[MENTION=54154]the phantom[/MENTION] there's another rally Feb 9th. You going? I'm going to do my best to be there. It's tough to get a day away with a one-month old at home, but this is important. Maybe we can get a GMTC contingent together.
  8. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I would but its a 5 1/2 hour drive for me and that might be an unhealthy drive for the caddy as shes getting up there in age. The phantom's hibernating in the barn for a couple more months or I would bring him out to raise a little hell with them lawmakers.

P.S. Ive got a nieghbor that dislikes guns a lot. When I shoot twice a year hes usually calling my house complaining of the noise. The last time I shot a couple pounds of tanerite with my AK and he was on my answering machine in seconds wanting to know what I had over here and to call him back. (hes about 1500' through the woods away from my house) That stuff goes Boom!! I never called him back in fact I was laughing the whole time since hes called the law on me the last 3 years in a row for having some fireworks on the 4th of July. Now he will probably call the law when I shoot more than 7 rounds at once. Just have to be quick with my magazines and when Im done have 7 loaded when the law shows up.:rofl:
  9. Creepy Crawler

Creepy Crawler New Member

Your neighbor sounds like a real DB, the kind I had to get away from. I now live neighbor free on 4 acres! My life goal is to never tell anyone what I do and live as far away from people that have nothing better to do than to worry about others. I can't stand nosy lifeless people. Neighbors are definitely problems. (or not, as long as you're doing what they want you to do)
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

That sucks. You'd think living on that much land people would be understanding, and giving you a hard time about fireworks is ridiculous. Within 1500 ft of me there are about 100 houses, and no cops on July 4th after shooting rockets.
  11. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

You guys seriously need to move. And what's with a 4x4 hibernating in winter? I suppose I don't understand owning a tool just for show...
  12. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Too much $ to let it rust away. Its used just not in salt and snow. This way when I move when I retire (if when I get that age there is such a thing) my truck is still in tact.
  13. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Again, you seriously need to move. :)
  14. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I wish it was that easy. When I take care of my stepfather and his wife(house and yard maintanence, plowing driveway ect.) Grew up here (unfortunately). 15 year career with nice income increases every year. Although I am 45 minutes from PA I have considered that as an option but not sure if leaving my house that Ive customized the last 10 years would be easy to leave also. I looking at maybe a 5 year plan to get myself ready for a move/change. By then the company I work for might be ran by someone else (owner is 73)or not running at all and I will be forced to look in a different direction. But all of this is not to argue with you. I agree I need to move.:great:
  15. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

At least we're not California...oh wait...
  16. Sierraowner5.3

eh, im of the opinion that to heck with a a AR right now, im planning on getting a home defence shotgun of some sort. mossberg makes a 590 witha 8 shot tube mag, and no stupid pistol grip, so its still usuable for hunting. 12 gauge ammo is still availible for the most part, and with rifled slugs you can shoot plenty far.

i have a 25-06 for the long range stuff.

Alex
  17. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Pistol grips are not stupid on home defense shotguns. They are intended to shorten the overall length of the firearm to make it more usable in close quarters, like a home -- where rounding a corner with a shouldered firearm can result in an intruder easily grabbing the barrel as it swings around the corner ... either deflecting the shotgun barrel away from him/herself or potentially disarming you, entirely. A pistol grip firearm is held tighter to the body and is shorter, resulting in a reduced chance of grabbing the firearm in such scenarios ... and less leverage to use against you if it's grabbed.

If you can only have one home defense firearm and it -must- do double-duty for hunting then you'd be smartest to use a pistol grip for home defense and to change the pistol grip to a shoulderable stock for hunting. It's a whopping one bolt to change...
  18. Sierraowner5.3

i understand what they are for just fine, i just prefer a normal grip setup. to each there own.

Alex
  19. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

Senator Feinstein submitted her national bill today. She wants to eventually dry up the supply of "evil" guns. I hope it doesn't pass.
  20. Sierraowner5.3

The whole bill is insane, its nothing but a blatant gun grab. The worst part is that the bill as it sits will never get approved, what will happen is some amendments will get made, and they will claim that they were "moderate" and that they "support" the second amendment.

Alex