1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Astro Van Cowl hood reinstallation..is there a trick to it?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by daddytech, May 10, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

took the cowl hood off of my wifes 2000 astrovan and cannot figure out how to get it back on have never had to get into that thing before the whole 9 years we have had it but now we're at a point where we are ready to sell it so i thought i would pop it off and make sure everything is good to go under there and no strange things broken off or disconnected, just trying to make sure i am not selling someone the thing with any problems that i might easily be able to correct. I started to put the cowl back on but cannot figure out how to get it back in past all the ac ducting and dash supports and wiring and all. I am sure there is a trick to it and it shouldn't be as hard as it is right now can anyone help???
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I you talking about the doghouse - inside the cab covering the engine? or the cowl - outside, under the windshield, covering the wiper componants?

I'm not familiar with this style van, but I'll try to help...
  3. daddytech

i am talking about the Dog house inside the cab. there has to be some kind of trick to getting it on past all the AC ducting and dash support bar as the top of where the doghouse meets the firewall is about 4-6" higher than the dash components in front of it.

I tried putting it on one side at a time and putting it in normally just straight in then try to lift the front edge up into place but it won't go in that way and there is a guide on the drivers side that the seal has to be in and it can't be placed there after the fact. so there has to be some trick to getting it back on and i was hoping someone here would know what it is or how to find the answer.
  4. KidHauler

Well, I can't think of anything. On my full size 85, I move both seats back then do a nose dive entry with the doghouse. When I get above the air cleaner, and below the stereo, I pull the front back up and it pops into place.

Make sure nothing fell into the engine while you had the cover off, and now is in the way...

I see what I can find, and you're up to the top again, so keep checking
  5. daddytech

the warden found it... thanks for the intended help any way though..

if anyone is interested here's what she found

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4079

i was attempting to put it on upside down, thinking the big bolts were supposed to go in the base of it and they actually go on the firewall.
  6. KidHauler

Congradulations!
    You were probably upside down when you took it off.

warden?
  7. daddytech

Warden= wife lol wasn't upside down, just slept since then lol