1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Astro van is it the igniton switch or a relay

Discussion in 'Other GM Cars' started by unclemaui, Jul 21, 2013.

1. unclemaui

unclemaui New Member

94 chevy astrovan all at once no speedometer. stays in low gear, windows, front and rear fans stop working a/c compressor does not start heater does not start.

I cannot find anywhere online about a relay or if it is the ignition switch that shuts off the accesories until the engine starts. (thinking shrot circut)

For grins and $47.00 I tried the speed sensor. still stays in low gear.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You have had a portion of the electrics fail. I didn't take the time to check your fuse arrangements, but you can do it. Dig out your fuse diagrams (the pics in the owners manual that show the fuse locations), locate each fuse and see if there is a pattern.
    - Are they all in the same fuse panel,
    - Are they close to each other,
    - etc.

You could have a broken link in the fuse panel, you could have a broken/corroded wire providing power, or ground.

You could have a number of things.

Check out the fuse locations and report back

3. unclemaui

unclemaui New Member

With the engine off or running all the components mentioned have no voltage [12v] the fuses are not blown. I have a good ground on all of them but no 12v

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I know that. But, somewhere between voltage being turned on and components receiving power you have a problem. I am not there, so I am trying to suggest things to track down the common area. One small area is common to all. It could be an area of the fuse box, it could be a broken wire, it could be a bad ground, it could be a bad ignition switch. But, you need to track it down to find it.

5. Big_Mike

Big_Mike Member 100 Posts

My dad has a 92 Astro and had similar problems. However, his instrument cluster stopped working once he turned on his a/c compressor (and no a/c if I recall correctly). He had a mechanic look at it and it turns out that a wire off of the ignition switch had a short in it, thus causing the malfunction. The mechanic wired the a/c system electrical circuit separately and fixed the problem. I don't know if this will help you, but maybe it will :). I saw the post and it jogged my memory.