At what point does modified turn int highly modified?

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by 00chevy53, Jun 8, 2014.

?

What do you consider highly modified?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2014.
  1. Amount of money in build

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Anything past motor and transmission swaps

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

How would you determine highly modified?

Amount of money put into the build or Anything past motor and transmission swaps?

2. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 100 Posts

I wouldn't really consider either a viable option. I've done engine/trans swaps and didn't consider it heavily modified, or modified at all really. And you can waste a ton of money on stuff that can be done better/same and cheaper. I would honestly say you havent reached heavily modified until you have custom fabrication on a vehicle. Stuff that can not be bought off a shelf.

3. daniel gonzalez

daniel gonzalez New Member

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I agree with the above. Some time you can spend $1000's on a stock vehicle that you are restoring or fixing. If by past engine/tranny swaps you mean custom fabing drivetrain parts or suspension then I guess that would be what I would check but its a little vague.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Highly modified is a hard term to describe, its different for each type of vehicle build.
    I do some vehicle restorations and have had vehicle described as highly modifid if they have more than 25% non-oem parts.
    On the other hand I have a play truck thats had the springs replaced, added a second t case, added a supercharger and related fuel systems, custom exhaust from engine to tip, new wheels and tires, full in cab cage, plus lots of other items, at local off road parks its considered a stock or near stock truck.
    Its more of an individual determination.

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't know what constitutes highly modified. But, I can tell you that while looking for insurance on my 1995 the term was used by the insurance companies often. A 3" body lift and 33's was not considered "highly modified" But, when I added the 6" suspension lift and 38.5"s they considered it highly modified and finding insurance was not all that easy. If I told them what was on the truck they did not want to give me a policy. If I left the mods out then it would not have been covered in an accident. Somehow a local agent was able to get me fully covered for the mods and vehicle. It was not all that cheap though

I found this on a national insurance agency site:

We consider cars to be modified when the performance has been increased 25% or more, the body, chassis, frame have been altered, custom paint job over $10K in value, more than $5,000 in other modifications, or stereo over $3,000. There are several items that we would not consider modifications, such as chrome/painted under hood accessories less than $5,000, rims, exhaust, intake, mild cam, etc. These type accessories would fall under the stock/minimal modification category.

We would be able to write your modified car under an Agreed Value policy, which means you and I agree upon a value that the car is worth in today’s market, and that would be what you would get paid if you have a total loss.

Typically our customers who have highly modified cars tend to drive their car less and also less aggressive, and making them great risks to cover. They generally take them out for car shows, local cruise-ins, club events or just for nice cruises.

If you have a modified car, and are on your normal insurance, you may be asking for trouble.

7. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

imagesY67ZH2ZK.jpg 8dr4x4