Atkins Diet and Exercise

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jun 11, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

haha, I'm down 25 lbs over the last 10 weeks on the Atkins diet. I feel better, have more energy, sleep better too. I've got another 25 to go, need to step up the exercise.

What I ate yesterday.

Breakfast:
    4-egg wrap with melted cheese, mayo, spicy mustard and low-carb tomato wrap

Lunch:
    3 McDonalds Double-cheeseburgers with no buns, water.

Dinner:
    20 chicken wings, spicy
    2 full pork chops,
    Atkins chocolate bar
    1/2 bag of pork rinds
    two diet riets

hahaha
  2. devilsalmostfree

devilsalmostfree New Member 100 Posts

congrats on the 25 lbs lost. best of luck on the other 25. that diet never did sound too appetizing or healthy. be careful with those cheese burgers & such.
  3. Johnny_Buchanan

Johnny_Buchanan New Member 100 Posts

Congrats on progress made and good luck with the rest.
    Just wondering: how are you maintaining muscle mass with so few meals per day?
    What/if any training plan are you following?

-J
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Congrats on the weights lost for sure.. I used to have to worry about my weight when i was in the army, so when i got out i now dont.. Funny thing is ive actually lost weight since.. but i still prefer the "SEEFOOD DIET":lol:
  5. ChevyFan

That amount of food is probably 3,000 calories, it's just all fat and protein. No problems with muscle mass on this end. My doctor said all of the long-term studies show that cutting out the junk carbs is the best thing for you. My cholestorl dropped when I'm on this diet, plus taking off that much weight is so much better for my joints, etc.
  6. Johnny_Buchanan

Johnny_Buchanan New Member 100 Posts

I'm not trying to argue with the benefits of dropping out most of the carbs. Also I'm happy your diet is showing results. It just seems to me - and also supported by general training wisdom - that losing muscle when going under maintenance calories with only 3 meals per day can not be avoided.

Again, I'm not questioning your results or anything, just wondering if you could have a better fat/muscle ratio on weight lost if protein intake and frequency would be upped.

Anyway, good luck, once again! I'm off to worship at the altar of L Simmons :=)

-J
  7. ChevyFan

Mostly due to my schedule, and lack of hunger when I'm off the carbs, just not hungry as much as carbs stimulate insulin, which stimulates hunger.

Not sure how I can get more protein, lol. I think I had 5 eggs for breakfast this AM in a wrap with bacon and water. Had 4 thin pork chops and 3 sausages last night for dinner.
  8. devilsalmostfree

devilsalmostfree New Member 100 Posts

im not trying to critisies(spelling), but it cant be too healty. im no expert & never had weight issues, but i would think that a proper amount of fruits (apples, grapes, bananas, oranges, pears), meats, baked (fish, chicken, turkey) would be much healthier for u then all that pork, sausage, bacon, cheeseburgers with no bread. that stuff just sounds to me like arteries r clogging, & heart attack city is coming.

u could do 6, very small portioned meals a day (try 3 meals, then go to 6 smaller), with a salad, 1 meat, & vegies, along with some fruit. i still think u would loose weight.
  9. ChevyFan

After the car accident in September of last year, combined with the new baby and all of the hospitalizations and NICU stays that went out with that ... I gained back some of the weight.

Anyhow, I'm "Back on the Atkins again" (sing that to the tune of "Back in the Saddle again") and I'm back down about 10 lbs and I feel much more energetic to boot.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

The funny thing is when I went in for a physical ... everything was wonderful and my bad cholesterol was down to about 180 and my good cholesterol was way up and all of my numbers looked great. Study after study after study shows that to be true.
  10. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I lost weight on the Atkins diet too. I went from eating my steak from medium to rare. Rare as in get it hot enough to kill microbes and bring it on. My cholesterol and triglicerides (sp?) require medication to control. I will dabble in the carbs some but am conscious of how much I eat them.