1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Attention all Google Mechanics:

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by moogvo, Apr 20, 2012.

1. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I posted this as a blog, but I wanted to share it in here as well. I have been reading postings on this and other sites that compelled me to write this.

2. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You are completely right. Anyone can type in Google for an answer. Good post.
    Wait so the guy that told me to put water in my gas to get more horse power wasn’t right? J/K
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There another couple of classes of people that do forums disservice: those that tell others to simply "Google it", and those that say "Search n00b". The first class follow the same theory as the Google mechanics in that all the answers are available via Google, and a good deal are, but not always. The second are the real pains. They tell the OP to use the search function on the site, without actually helping the person find their answer. All this does is create a lot of threads with questions and replies, but no answer because they were simply told to use the search function. As a mod, don't get me wrong, we completely advocate the use of the search feature and resurrecting old threads that are very related to the question at hand, but the person who says "search n00b" should at least look for the thread they're referring to and drop the link in the new person's thread, so there's a trail that can lead other new people to the answer. I can't count the number of threads I've replied to answering common questions such as "what transmission do I have", "what rearend do I have", and "what bodystyle do I have". Every time, I carefully type out my responses to these questions and include graphics to illustrate the answer. Why? Because hopefully some new user in the future will search, find my response, and not need to ask the question, or can form a more detailed question to give an accurate picture of the situation.
  4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I remember in one of the forums I used to own, I have several members who would tell people to use the search function. My forum sites have always been "no bashing" zones, and I never had a problem with the same question being asked. There are certain topics that will come up over and over again - Like why the tailgate of the Pontiac Aztek only opens half way when pressing the release button... Every single one of them did uit and every new owner that came to the forum asked about it even though it had been answered hundreds of times. I solved it by making it a sticky and it cut down on the asking. People still asked... just not nearly as many. LOL!

That aside, I like the way the forums are run here. This is exactly the way I run my sites. Friendly and accommodating. I DO have to say, though that there are ALWAYS one or two members who MAKE you want to flame them... No matter how nice you are! LOL!
  5. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I may be considered on the verge of being a "Google mechanic" but I more or less use Google to validate the information I give. I know as soon I post something that is incorrect, other members will jump in to make the correction so better to be safe than sorry. I also like to provide links if there is a specific product involved. When someone asks "where can I get a..." Is it wrong to use Google to help them? A lot of people don't know the proper search techniques to find what they're looking for in a matter of seconds or minutes. Based on my response here, am I a google mechanic? I also don't post responses to questions relating to mechanical work because I'm no mechanic :neutral:

I agree that there is an abundance of inaccurate information on the internet; i.e. Answers.com is not always a viable information tool.

As far as why Google mechanics do what they do, maybe it gives them a reason to research something and in the end they'll learn something new too??

You make some very good points here.
  6. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Holding true to the ranting mood, huh?? Hahaha. Joking! If I don't know anything about the subject, I don't say anything or put in any insite...but if I feel like I might be able to help, then I'll answer...googling for an answer is like the blind leading the blind...but I will use it to try and find images of parts, ect if someone can't provide them.
  7. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

Snickers,,,, google.......THis!!!....

:glasses:Ok,,,, here it goes....I am new to looking for help and advice on the internet.....
    But because of the very few people, in this wonderful world,,, have ever heard of a top kick/kodiak and Get this even less seen one,,
    and very few have worked on these trucks, at least NOt the way I do.... so being resourceful and wise i search and seek information any way i can get..... and have come across this.... when i search google for my answers to top kick questions, i am now getting results that actually have links to my questions, now folks are coming with emails to me about the questions i have asked and expect an answer.......so I always kindly reply with another question,,,, and very rarely get a reply......
    So in in ending this viscous cycle of google abuse.... I say this!!!!!! freedom of speech baby!!! freedom of speech, ,,,,I may not like what they say,,, but will fight to the death for the right for them to say it....... as information, is the key to knowledge,,,, which is just a gift to whom ever will accept it.... SO BUYER BEWARE>>>>>>>>>