Audio - do it yourself or pro?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ChevyFan, Feb 19, 2006.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

When it comes to something like stereo placement, I'm not certain that I want to do it myself. Why not hire a pro to do it for essentially like $50??? -- or even free if I spend enough $$ at a big-box store.

Has anyone put an aftermarket system in? Did you do it yourself or have a pro do it?

2. patriot78

patriot78 Member

i have an aftermarket system

panasonic head unit w/ a mdx 8" sub fits nice behind my middle seat..

i had a friend help me out and it came out great

3. ProzacKid

ProzacKid Rockstar 100 Posts

Just depends on what you want to do. You CAN do it yourself, but it's not very much more $$ if you go to a big-box place like Fry's or whatever. They can do it cheap and it's done by a Pro.

4. poolguy20

poolguy20 New Member

I am Sirius

Installed a Clarion Pro-Audio head unit with an aux hookup for my mp3 player (iriver H10 20gb) and Sirius satellite radio. It seemed intimidating when I opened the box (from Crutchfield) but my buddy and I had everything installed in 2 hours. If you feel comfortable changing your oil and making a minimal amount of splices, I would say go for it. Crutchfield included step by step instructions for dummies. Everything works great, stereo sounds much better, and now I have Stern available for the commute into work.

5. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

I've done it before, but never in a vehicle that I care about. I've seen some funny looking do-it-yourself jobs, but so good ones too.

6. poolguy20

poolguy20 New Member

I shopped around: ebay, direct from factory website, bestbuy/circiut city type, and crutchfield. Crutchfield wasn't the cheapest, but you can't beat the value you get with thier free shipping, included face plates, all wiring for accesories, adaptors and instructions for dummies. They are always available 24-7. If you don't mind spending a couple extra bucks, and are mechanically inclined almost all will be happy with the(ir) install job.

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I installed a CD player in my wife's old Pontiac Sunfire that I bought off eBay. I've put in a coule of other high-end OEM units that I have bought...don't require a lot of time or effort. I've found that most speakers that come with a system are pretty good and can handle the best systems that GM will put out.

8. VortecMaxGuy

VortecMaxGuy New Member

I've put a few stereos in various cars over the years. I've found that the newer vehicles are so much easier because they make pre-wired kits for just about anything. I just put in a Pioneer DEH-7700 in my 06 crew cab. I did have to purchase a door-ding module & a steering wheel interface, but it wasn't too difficult to install. While I was at it I installed two 10" sub's & a MTX amp at the same time. I probably took about three hours for the install. I'm sure I saved at least $200-300 bucks this way.

9. Kansas

Kansas New Member

discount car stereo dot com has better prices do it yourself can void your warranty

10. 05chevyguy

05chevyguy New Member

I have to 12 inch jl audio W3v.3's (subs) in my truck along with alpine mids an highs in all the stock door and piller panels in my regular cab. i installed it all my self i even took most of my interior out and dynamated most of it. ive found that it helps tremendiously. but if you somewhat know what you are doing then its not to hard at all.