1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

audio help please

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jerrynino, Aug 11, 2009.

1. jerrynino

jerrynino Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

so im a complete newbie when it comes to audio... ive never done any system modifications so im clueless... i went to a local shop and they were talking to me about a probox which comes with 10'' subwoofers and a memphis amp installed for about 1000... is this a good deal or should i just buy a custom box, woofers, an amp and have it installed?

and what is a good reasonable price?

im not trying to disturb the peace or anything just want more bass :glasses:
  2. leadpan101

leadpan101 Rockstar

Depends on the sub and amp that they want to give you as far as price. 1000 sounds a little steep
  3. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

Shops are always gonna give you a steep price in my opinion. Its gonna be chepaer for you to look around on ebay for a for subs+sub boxes+ amps. Just depends what your looking for. If you want like a flush box to go under the back seat there are tons of them on ebay. Kicker even sells box's with subs already in them custom for trucks. Just check on ebay, i guarentee its cheaper then going to a car audio place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-07-09-CH...in_0?hash=item5d25d5e03f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Theres an example - 2 subs in a flush box for under the back seat, its only 360. Then you just get a good amp for them which is probably around 200 bucks and bam, great bass for about 500-600. Beats a grand at the audio shop! :great:
  4. jerrynino

i had seen them on ebay i was just curious really cuz a grand did seem like alot

so what amp do yall recommend? what brand?
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It really depends on the level of sub, wattage of amp, also a custom shop can tune your box to what you listen to as well, not to mention they arent giving you just an off the shelf box, they are building it for you and this isnt gonna like some of the pieces of crap that you will find on ebay. With that price too i have to assume that is wiring it as well. If that is amp, sub, box, full wiring (top of line)and install then it really is reasonable.
  6. Tdaz250

Well its not a cheap box, its made by Kicker for their subs so its not like its going to fall apart. For an amp i would say JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine. Alpine makes great products all around(a friend has an alpine amp, and my deck is alpine). I have a Rockford amp for my subs, and my dad has a JL amp for his JL sub. They are all great, just make sure not go get a crappy no name brand. And again check ebay for them, you can get a way better deal then any store.
  7. Tdaz250

Oh and i'd say around 500 watts is plenty(forgot about that question). Its pretty much pointless to have more then that unless your trying to break windows and piss off your neighbors with your sound system
  8. jerrynino

yeah its everything including wiring and all...
  9. jerrynino

thank you... ill keep 500 in mind then... and no im not trying to break any windows or set off alarms
  10. Tdaz250