Audio help!!!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Shorty 71, Mar 11, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hey you chevy nuts i have a question for you. Audio isn't really my area so here's the deal. I have a 08 silverado crewcab with a stock audio system. I have been thinking about upgradeing the speakers but what do you think i should do? I'd like to keep the stock radio but upgrade speakers so i can rock alittle more. I have a budget of around $500, what do you audio guys and girls think i should get?? Help a brother out:)
  2. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have the same truck and I was thinking about replacing the 4 sets of door speakers and geting a 4 channel amp to put under the driver seat to push them. I have not priced the speakers yet, but the amps were running about $200 so I think a budget of $500 should be fine.

Please give an update on what you end up doing.
  3. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid New Member 100 Posts

I would go with a total upgrade...Alpine's all around with the alpine powerpack amp and a Alpine deck. SO much easier than putting in any other speaker amp...you can get 4 speakers and the amp and the deck for under 500 bucks, thats what I did. The powerback amp just goes between your stock wiring harness and the Alpine deck, no more wiring at all. The speakers for my truck were 6.5s and 4x6s, and to get Alpine Type S's it was like 80 bucks a pair (got a deal on the 6.5s). You dont even need to use alpine speakers though, can use whatever you want. Check it out...worth doing for sure.
  4. oohyeah4

oohyeah4 New Member

Some of you might think Im crazy, but here goes....Most new vehicles, trucks included have pretty decent sound systems, this is what I would do and have done in the past, Just add an 8" implified "bazooka" tube and you wont believe youre ears!!!:na:
  5. Shorty 71

Some great suggestions, thanks!!
  6. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member 100 Posts

I would do a complete upgrade. It would sound a lot better, but if you decide to stick with the Stock head unit just get the speakers and buy a small 4 channel amp and you should be good. Im currently looking at getting some rockford fosgate power t1652-s. My friend had some and they sound really good. They go for about 160 online.
  7. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Some upgraded speakers are inexpensive and provide more clarity.

Then you can use the rest of your budget on a stealth Sub and amp combo to go under the rear seat in your cab.

A clean and easy install.

If you need any help wiring it up, just give me a shout, we can hook up and rock it out.
    :sign0011:
  8. Randomsoleil

Randomsoleil New Member

From my numerous cars and audio degree here is my suggestion. Decide wether you want a bass system or a nice clean system first. Once that is established start with speakers. Most silverados have in the door two speakers one 6.5 driver and a small tweeter. this allows for component speaker upgrades which i suggest. Once you do that find a set of 4x6 speakers form the same company as your front speakers. From there you need to decide how much you really crank it. if you do a lot i would then lok at doing a head unit and some kind of amp for your speakers. As far as a sub. there are numerous options for enclosed boxes made just for the silverado that can be hidden and even some small powered options like bazooka tubes and others that can even be mounted under a passenger or drivers seat. I do suggest however that you go to a store and listen to some options every speaker sounds different and you may not like the way it sounds. Just make sure the head unit that you listen to has the eq turned off. I can go into more detail if you want just hit me up .
  9. Shorty 71

You guys are the best, thanks again for all the info:great:

"I wish i knew how to quit you" :rofl:
  10. STS_Silverado

STS_Silverado New Member

great choice... this is what i did in my 2000 silverado... i also have two 12" mephis shalow subs and it all sounds amazing...