Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Audio Installation - do it yourself? [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ChevyFan, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

When it comes to something like stereo placement, I'm not certain that I want to do it myself. Why not hire a pro to do it for essentially like $50??? -- or even free if I spend enough $$ at a big-box store.

Has anyone put an aftermarket system in their burbon? Do it yourself?

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yes its not all that hard. You can buy adapter plugs to fit the original dash plugs. No cutting into the original wiring harness. Makes it easier to put the original radio back in if you want to sell the truck with the old radio.
    Even in the old days before the plug adapters I used to use the snap lock wire things. they came in different colors for different gauge wire and one wire can pass threw the other just buts. If you put them on behind the plug in the dash you don’t have to cut the plug off.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, but I think that I'll go with a mid-level CD/MP3 player and maybe some higher end speakers in the back. That would require fishing some thicker speaker wire to the back. Of course, I could pop it in with new speakers and see how it sounds and if I need bigger wire I can figure a way to get it back there. If I put new carpet in, I can just run the speaker wire through the center under the carpet and sent it to each speaker.

4. ProzacKid

ProzacKid Rockstar 100 Posts

It's not too tough anymore to do it yourself. Faceplate covers are marketed for just about every possible combo that you'll come across.

5. 84fiero123

Unless your puting in a high power amp I wouldn't worry about the wire size Steve.

6. ChevyFan

Maybe I'm just remembering back to when I was a kid and we DID put big amps in with a speaker box in the back. Of course, I never did that, and the guys that did are now 1/2 deaf in their mid 30's. :)

7. ProzacKid

ProzacKid Rockstar 100 Posts

Most of the newest vehicles only use one type of wire. That way they can put any type of upgrade into it before they hit the factory and they don't have to worry about getting the wrong wire.

8. 84fiero123

My 86 Fiero SE has a factory insalled amp for the factory installed sub woofer and the wires are the same as the ones in the Burbs.

9. ChevyFan

Yeah, saves on $$ and confusion. Wire is pretty cheap too, not a major expense.

10. pntbllrules53

pntbllrules53 Member

My dad put a stereo into the Suburban that has been in 3 or 4 cars already. Along the way we somehow lost the grounding wire and the wire for the CD. What type of wire should I get and how do I hook them up so they get power?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.