Audio Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ParisDude, Aug 25, 2009.

1. ParisDude

ParisDude Rockstar

I am restoring my 1988 Silverado. It is a long bed standard cab. I installed a new Sony radio and CD player in the center of the dash where the old casette used to reside. I replaced the front speakers with high grade units, but the rears are still awful. I would like to add a lot of bass response as well as some good mids and highs. Has anyone had success with such a project, and what did you use???

2. Custom04Chevy

Custom04Chevy Rockstar 100 Posts

If you aren't concerned about losing space in the cab, I would say you can't go wrong with JL Audio as far as subs. I don't know about their new line, but I know their old line of subs had HUGE magnets, so they take up a little bit of space. They hit harder than any other subs I have heard in the same price range though, so that is what I have in my truck. As for mids and tweeters, I would say eclipse or maybe JL Audio. I would steer clear of rockford. They are some of the worst speakers I have ever had an opportunity to invest in. There are many people who swear by rockford, but my experiences have all been bad.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I m assuming your rears are either 4x6 or 4x10, you can fit a 5 1/4 inch speaker back there and will be much happier with them.