1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Audio Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Oscarvan, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Oscarvan

Oscarvan New Member

OK guys, bear with the newbie...

Getting an 09 crew cab (2500HD-Dmax) with the low level sound system. (Not Bose) Looking to upgrade that. Don't need to blow out the windows (I'm over 50) but I do want to HEAR my geezer rock. So, a woofer or two, some upgraded speakers and an amp. I have a crossover filter I can use.

What is the most bang for the buck? And how to tie into the existing system? Is there a wiring harness in place to a woofer location? Tweeters? Does the head have an RCA output or am I going LOC? What's the best place to tie in? Pull the head?

What's there and what takes advantage of what's there the best?

I am 99% XM-radio so don't need any fancy CD players etc. Haven't taken delivery of the truck yet, so don't even know if it has an aux input, otherwise I'll use the ol RF as much as I hate it....

Thanks.
  2. Oscarvan

Oscarvan New Member

OK, after some more digging it appears there's an aux input (phew) and there are six speakers, so wires aplenty. Anyone done this recently?
  3. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i just did pioneer 2 ways to my truck, all you have to do is take door panel off, pop speaker out, cut the wiring harness, and wire the new speaker in
  4. Oscarvan

Oscarvan New Member

Did it make a difference?
  5. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave New Member

Your truck is different and you cant just pull off the door panel in the 09's they are a little more complex than our body style's. The best place to do the LOC is behind the radio where you can tag the speaker leads right there and run the rca's to the back, then you will need to tag the remote turn on lead from under your dash in the ignition harness (pink thin wire) because in 03 chevy stopped putting the accy wire in the radio loom. I think you best bang for the buck would be to buy a four channel amp, a pair of front speakers, and a single 10 inch sub. Then you wire the first to channels to the front doors and bridge the rear's for the sub, this will give you all around cleaner and better sound and you WILL be happy our shop has alot of people doing this type of set-up because its cheaper and gives a full sound environment in the car/truck or whatever the case may be.
  6. Oscarvan

Oscarvan New Member

OK, and what happens to the unamped rear speakers and the tweeters?
  7. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

yes it did
    yeah i know, once he gets the door panle off, it should be the same